Integrated Arts in Education Week 4 – 02/10/18

Today in class we were looking at Art and Dance, we were thinking about connections between the two and discussed why dance fits in-between Art and PE in the curriculum. Some connections as to why Dance fits in-between Art and PE in the curriculum are;

• Art and PE promote a healthy mind set as does Dance.
  • Art and PE allow for creativity and expression as does Dance.
  • Art and PE allow for those who are challenged by literacy and maths to succeed as academically as their peers and so does Dance.

Discussions in class also lead to a commonality between Art and Dance as being ‘line’. Here we linked the use of line to art and dance because line in art creates shape and form, as it  does in dance.  By using line in art and dance, expressions can be made and understood, expressions that often can’t be spoken or written down.

Which leads on to our art workshop where we studied the work of Bob and Roberta Smith, a British artist who uses text, colour and form to make bold statements and messages.  I listened to his podcast on BBC Radio 4 where he visits galleries to discuss the work of artists similar to himself. Here I learn how text/line in art can be so effective, artists such as Sister Corita Kent, a catholic nun who created with text, she played around with words testing the ability to read. Similar to Bob and Roberta Smith who’s own work is bold and joyful, using text and challenging the status quo (BBC Radio 4).

Bob and Roberta Smith mentions that he was bullied as a child as his ability to read and write was very poor. Children should never be allowed to feel this way and this is also the view of a Caol Primary school in Fort William. The creators Room 13, a space were children control their own education, who are simply advised by an adult artist on skills and ideas. Room 13 is now an international network of collaboration and it has revolutionised what is known as standardised educational experiences while sucessfully covering curriculum subjects (Gibb, 2012).

In class today we were printing, our inspiration was to be the work of Bob and Roberta Smith.  The task was initially challenging for me, therefor my creativity levels peaked and I was instantly engaged, using my creativity as my problem solving tool.  This is something I look forward to using while I am out on school placement as my lecturer has tried it with us and it very interestingly works.

What was interesting about today in dance and in art was, in each class myself and my peers took control of our own learning.  There was no copying the teacher or another piece of work, it was simply student run, similar to what they do in Room 13.  Therefor when you look back at the work created in class today both art and dance all the creations have originality, creativity and expression.

References:

Bob and Roberta Smith. (2018) The Joy of Text. [Radio Programme, Interview] BBC Radio 4. 24 September 2018, 4pm.

Gibb, C. (2012) Room 13: The Movement and International Newtork. [Online] Available: http://moodle1819.uws.ac.uk/pluginfile.php/45656/mod_resource/content/2/Room%2013-%20Claire%20Gibb.pdf. [Accessed: 04 October 2018].