Update 3 – March 2020

What’s Happening in my enquiry?

I am writing this update on the back of our very successful third Digital Learning Week in the school. Although, it wasn’t without a few hiccups of visitors arriving late, cancelling 30 minutes prior to their visit and one visitor turning up without us knowing they were coming BUT the school was buzzing with enthusiasm and excitement.   At the end of the week, I gathered feedback from staff, pupils and visitors and will share some of the results within this update. 

What’s working?

Within my enquiry, and from having Digital Learning Week the conversations I have had with children across the school towards the potential careers in STEM have been enlightening.  The Digital Learning Week has acted as a catapult within the school with some teachers  now more willing to use STEM inside their classroom more.

Staff Feedback

• All enjoyed Digital Learning Week and felt that their pupils benefited from it.
    • “The pupils had the opportunity to interact with a variety of people from jobs in the digital sector and most were inspired, in some way, to pursue a career in the digital field in the future.”
    • “I thought that it was great for the children to hear about the uses of technology in various workplaces. The visitors were very good at engaging the children and they answered their questions well. The children benefited from hearing about online safety and data being shared by social media sites etc. This has made them more aware and hopefully will keep them safer.”
    • “The content of some of the presentations and workshops were very relevant to the digital world the children live in. The variety of visitors and vocations was also great. Data lab was great and very informative.”
    • “They enjoyed the variety of companies/visitors who came in to inform them of the vast opportunities that are out there in this ever growing digital environment. It opened their eyes to things that they knew didn’t exist.”
    • “They were able to talk to people actually in these jobs who could explain what they do and give them an insight into some of the tools they use. They were also able to work on the laptops while receiving positive feedback and advice to improve their design.”

Pupil Feedback

• “Being given the opportunity to see what’s available and trying the different things out. Getting the opportunity to see how technology could become part of a career choice.”
  • “We enjoyed all of the visitors and learned lots about the many different jobs that are available to us within a digital capacity.”
  • “We learnt lots of new things about digital learning. It was very interesting to learn about new technology in jobs and about hackers. We enjoyed having a variety of visitors into our classroom. It has encouraged us to try hard and aim for our dreams.”
  • “It was a really interesting week but some of the workshops were a little less engaging than others.”

Visitor Feedback

• All enjoyed the event and would like to be part of it again.
  • The children were all engaged, well behaved and asked relevant questions.

What am I not sure about?

The past two weeks I was meant to be collating data to compare against my first set of questionnaires but with the absence rate of the school dropping day by day due to the Covid-19 this has been very difficult. As a result of school closures to the majority of children and with the council moving towards having Hubs, I don’t know when I will next see the children I questioned. Therefore, I have decided to use the wonders of the online classrooms that we have set up for our P4-7 children to ask all children to complete a questionnaire. This questionnaire will serve two purposes:

1 – to see where we are as an upper school in terms of Gender Bias in STEM with the hope that this can inform how we tackle STEM and the Gender Gap in the future.

2 – I will be able to pick out the children that I had originally complete the questionnaire in January and compare their views.

Hopefully, with the collection of the questionnaires alongside the catapult that has been Digital Learning Week we will be able to, as a school, take the next steps towards tackling the Gender Gap in STEM.

6 thoughts on “Update 3 – March 2020”

1. Jayne, this sounds fantastic. What great feedback. It sounds like you have very helpful information from a range of people to guide your digital plans in the future. You must be very happy with it.

2. I have a similar enquiry question to you. This sounds amazing! It was interesting to read the pupil comments and loved that some thought that technology would now be a real possibility for a career path! How are you finding getting your data from the online classroom, as I am trying this too?

1. I’ve managed to get 28 responses, however only one of my previously surveyed children have answered. How are you getting on?

3. Well done on organising the digital learning week. Must have been a huge amount of work but what fantastic feedback. It’s frustrating to have plans changed through COVID19. I really hope you manage to get the pupil surveys completed so you can analyse your data. I planned to compare test data from term 1 and 2 but have realised I don’t have access at home to most of my term 1 data.

1. The huge amount of work is always worth the incredible experiences and opportunities provided to the children. I feel as though COVID19 has thrown a spanner in the works for everyone’s enquiry this year and it is the hope that even by managing to do as much of the enquiry that we have it will springboard onto providing bigger and better next session! I hope you manage to compare some of the data you have gathered. Good Luck!