Sustainable Development BA2

Energy – learning log

In this week’s workshop, we have been learning about energy. The main focus was on how we use energy and different types of energy. Furthermore we looked at the planet’s future and how long energy sources will last. We discussed how much energy from getting up this morning to being at uni we had already used without a second thought. This highlighted how much energy we use in a short period.

In the first workshop, there was a carousel of different energy related activities and this would be a good way to introduce and develop energy within a classroom setting. It gave me many ideas as to what I could use in my classroom to engage the children with this topic. There were also a variety of activities that as a teacher I would have to decide which age and stage best suited the class, because one experiment with the steel wool went on fire. It showed me the need to be well organised, have materials to hand and be prepared if a challenge arises.

Some of these carousel activities included: using metallic wool, using a circuit to turn on a light with a variety of materials, a solar power task using a lego car, balloons and kinetic energy. I feel I now have a good idea of energy activities that I could use and be confident with in my classroom.

In the second workshop, we were split into two groups of opposing sides about the positives and negatives of wind energy. This was very useful as every member in the team had a role to play which meant that nobody could step back and let the others do everything. We had to read a passage about our side of the argument and this improved our critical thinking skills and because we had time to prepare it gave me confidence as to what I was going to contribute and I feel that this would be the same in the classroom, if the children were given time to prepare and felt a boost of self esteem to debate for their team. The children would learn from each as they participate in the debate.

There was a guest speaker from Onthank Primary School, who was there to talk about STEM teaching – science, technology, engineering and maths. Within this workshop we had to make an anemometer and then prepare a lesson on how to prepare and teach this to a class. I found this useful as it is a lesson I could use when on my teaching practice and one the children would engage with. It was also emphasised on the need of children to work independently and not be scared on making mistakes and thus build up their confidence.

I have learned that there are many forms of energy: kinetic, electrical, chemical, heat and light to mention a few and I now know quite a few websites that would provide information, activities and online games that relate to energy.