Hannah Ferns UWS ITE ePDP

Inclusion and Equality

This week’s input aimed to look at inclusion and equality, and the differences between them.

Inclusion pertains more to the idea that everyone has a right to belong, and to be included, on a societal, cultural and individual level, whereas equality refers more to fairness and equal footing for all. The way in which equality is viewed and written about in a legislative context seems more like the definition of equity to me, as it is not about making sure everyone “gets the same” so to speak, but that individual needs are accounted for and supported as appropriate to that individual.

I found this subject to be somewhat less heavy than the inputs on religion, partially due to the fact that they were an integral part of my HNC and my support worker role prior to starting university. Inclusion and equality are both crucial aspects of education, and society in general, and it is important to consider how they impact on society and lifestyles.

The most interesting part for me, I think, was looking back at the work of Peggy McIntosh. Through my own personal reading and interest in the last few years, I was familiar with the term ‘privilege’ as it was applied by McIntosh, and specifically white privilege. I think it’s a difficult concept to accept at first sometimes, the idea that purely by virtue of being white and abled, that you have access to certain privileges and advantages that others do not. Some examples of these privileges can be found here: https://www.deanza.edu/faculty/lewisjulie/White%20Priviledge%20Unpacking%20the%20Invisible%20Knapsack.pdf

I think it can be tempting to become defensive at the revelation – to reiterate that you are not racist or ableist, or homophobic, for example – to affirm to yourself that you do not consciously take advantage of the societal benefits laid before you. This may well be true, as white privilege includes unconscious or unnoticed advantages that we simply take for granted because it does not occur to us that they are benefits, but that is not what confronting the idea of your own privilege is about.

It is about recognising that society has shaped itself in such a way that lends itself to your benefit, and acknowledging that the societal odds are often stacked against those who do not fit the white, abled criteria.  It was an important acknowledgement to make, although difficult, and I have come to recognise and understand that I will be seen in a certain, beneficial way by society due to the colour of my skin, and that the environment I live in is more advantageous to me than others in my community. The crucial point here, is that I build on this understanding and support those who do not experience that privilege, through listening and taking their perspectives on board.

In a professional context, it is also about recognising  and understanding that some of the children and parents I will be working with will have encountered disadvantages or difficulties due to the nature of white privilege. It is then on me to create a classroom ethos of equity and support, to ensure that all pupils are included and valued, and their parents and carers too.

Another interesting aspect of the input, in the guided study task, which I found interesting, was reflecting on the influences that have shaped my views on equality and inclusion. This was fairly easy to parse out, as I know that my parents, my mother in particular, and my friends have been large influences on my views. We are a reasonably diverse group, and many of us work or are training to work in the fields of education and social work, which has led to a reasonable amount of commonality in our views towards inclusion and equality.  In addition, my prior HNC in Additional Support Needs and placement in an Additional Support for Learning family centre had led to my deeper understanding of inclusion and equality in a more legislative and educational practice context.

I feel that I understand today’s concepts more thoroughly than I did before, and will endeavour to keep learning and developing my understanding and awareness of the issues surrounding equality and inclusion in order to improve myself as a person, and to improve my practice as a future teacher.

White Priviledge unpacking the invisible Knapsack (no date) Available at: https://www.deanza.edu/faculty/lewisjulie/White%20Priviledge%20Unpacking%20the%20Invisible%20Knapsack.pdf (Accessed: 5 February 2017).

Avatar photo

Author: Hannah Ferns

I'm a BA1 student at UWS, studying Primary Education. This blog will be primarily used as a record of my PDP over the course of my degree, but I'd like to get into the way of keeping it up whenever I find something that catches my eye! (Education-related, of course.)