Thursday 12th January

Today’s first class was an introduction to the Expressive Arts and Culture module and a brief overview of the weeks to come. There was also an introduction to exploring ‘Learning through evocative objects for teaching and learning’. We were shown a few examples of previous work that has been developed from the stimulus of an evocative object such as the book ’26 Treasures’ (Simmons, 2012) before discussing our chosen evocative objects and what they meant to us. My choice of object was my ring, which was given to my mum on her 21st birthday by my grandma and I wear it every day.

I hope by the end of the module, I will fully understand the possibilities of using a stimulus like this to create a final piece that not only includes art but a variety of other curricular areas. I also hope that I can successfully create a piece of artwork that represents my evocative object.

Simmons, J. (2012). 26 treasures. 1st ed. London: Unbound.