A case for the Learning and Teaching of Language- My Experiences

My initial experiences of language was from the beginning of my life- my family read stories to me at night time and I became familiar with many different authors and characters in books. These ranged from ‘The Gruffalo’ to ‘Peter Rabbit’ and ‘Paddington Bear’. As I grew older I began to find reading harder but loved listening to stories so I listened to audiobooks at night time; allowing for my language to develop and for my to improve my understanding of speech, talking, listening and develop my imagination.

In school I learnt how to write through a booklet containing each letter in the alphabet in large text. You would then trace over the letter and each line it became smaller in order to improve our dexterity. Other ways of improving my writing and sentence structure was through telling my teacher what I wanted to write and she would originally write it in a yellow felt-tip.  Then I would go over it myself afterwards- this was useful to learn how letters linked together in different orders depending on the words.

As I progressed in school, reading comprehension became more important. At the school I went to we used SRA, where you would read a story and answer the questions, each time you would be closer to increasing the levels and progressing.

Throughout my learning journey, these were a few ways in which i improved my listening, talking, reading and writing skills.