The new look of ‘My World of Work’

Homepage 1 Physicist, Engineer, Content Editor…

Whatever the young people you work with want to do when they leave school, My World of Work is here to help.  If you’ve not had a look at our award-winning careers advice and information service lately, now is the time to come back and check it out. We’ve completely redevelped the service, making it easier to use, introducing even more great tools, information and articles.

The revamped My World of Work means registered users will get a more personal service to help them make informed choices based on their personal traits, education and experience.   My World of Work is also uniquely placed to offer what no other careers websites can, a direct link to SDS expert careers advisers and the wealth of knowledge we offer as the national skills agency.

Support for you

Our partner resources help you to support your customers to use My World of Work – whether you’re a teacher, lecturer, training provider or work with one of our many partner organisations.

The service has been designed around four learning areas linked to career management skills (CMS) – self, strengths, horizons and networks – enabling young people to strengthen and develop their skills for learning, life and work.

These skills enable users to take effective decisions, realise their potential and take control of their future. With assistance from you, other partners and Careers Advisers, young people can build the skills they need to succeed through the use of My World of Work.

We’ve worked with teachers to develop support materials including:

• Articles to help you understand how pupils can get the best out of the service – explaining key features and how they can be used to explore the world of work
  • Activities which make it easy to plan and structure lessons. Each activity is designed to support a range of experiences and outcomes within Building the Curriculum 4, Planning for Choices and Changes
  • Downloads that give you the resources you need to carry out an activity

As soon as you register as a partner, you’ll find this content throughout My World of Work alongside relevant tools and articles. As well as this, you’ll be able to access all the partner resources in one place through your “Account”.

There’s also the new subject choices tool which is a great way of enabling young people to see how their choices could relate to future careers. There is a new subject choices collection of content that supports young people to explore options, understand things to avoid, look to the jobs of the future and help with making the right decisions.

Other new features include About Me, offering an insight into how personality and interests relate to careers. The updated CV builder makes writing and editing CVs quicker and easier to start applying for that dream job.

Reach for the stars!

We want My World of Work to be an inspiring space for everyone who uses it, and the stories of real working people are helping us to do that. These stories offer a unique, real-life glimpse of what working in a certain job or industry is really like.

Companies including NASA, City Building, STV, Capgemini, CalMac, Siemens, LifeScan Scotland, RBS, NHS, Forestry Commission and Historic Scotland allowed My World of Work cameras a behind-the-scenes insight into the working lives of people in their companies.

That kind of insight is hugely valuable when you’re wrestling with big career decisions, and we’ll continue to add and update these profiles in the months and years to come.The job profile videos also link to up-to-date information on related salary rates, qualifications needed to get started and opportunities within the sector, including a look at future job trends.

The future

The key to a successful future for My World of Work is listening to our partners, colleagues and customers and being guided on the future development plans by this insight and feedback.

We are also working on tools and resources for P5-P7 pupils, which will be delivered through teachers in primary schools and will update you on progress in the coming months.

Let us know what you think of My World of Work or request an awareness session on the web service from a member of the Skills Development Scotland Partner Development & Integration team using feedback@myworldofwork.co.uk

Share this Post