My Urban Environment – Week 1/2

For our very first input in sustainability, we firstly discussed the meaning of sustainability. sustainable development can be defined as the goal “to enable all people throughout the world to satisfy their basic needs and enjoy a better quality of life without compromising the quality of life of future generations.” (Scottish Government, 2010) we then discussed why it’s important before moving onto our first topic: the environment.

Taking the information from the lecture we applied what we had discussed to our outdoor learning whist exploring the local environment surrounding the university campus. In groups we were given 3 worksheets with different leaves, lichen and minibeasts on it and we were to identify them around campus. We then attended a science input linked to the environment with different stations. For example we were to go outside to make a tree rubbing using plain paper and a crayon. 

For consolidation of this topic, we were to write a blog post on our own urban environment (see below).

The skills I gained through these inputs were:

• research skills
  • outdoor learning
  • critical thinking skills
  • making links to other curricular areas (e.g. maths, literacy)
  • learning from members of the community 

These skills will be valuable in the classroom and can be applied to children’s lessons too. Through the research task I was able to gather information that was relevant as well as learn about my hometown. through the inputs I was able to develop my ability to link lessons to other curricular areas and assess which outdoor learning activities would be most useful.

My Urban Environment 

A Cumnock girl born and bred, I grew up with a vast sense of pride in my hometown. Located in East Ayrshire in the south west of Scotland Cumnock has a rich and fascinating history which the community are extremely proud of. Upon receiving this task I immediately spoke to my Grampa who’s has lived in Cumnock for almost 80 years. He recalled how industrial, popular and loved the town was but with modern times Cumnock has greatly suffered. Despite this, Cumnock continues to be in the hearts of many inhabitants who, like my gramps, remember how beautiful and successful it once was.
Although Cumnock has a Victorian feel the town’s history dates back hundreds of years before however notable buildings and monuments vary from the 1700s to early 20th century. The square located in the heart of Cumnock is home to the Mercat Cross which dates back to 1703 and situated only a five minute walk from the town centre is the Town hall which proudly displays a bronze bust of James Keir Hardie one of the founders of the Labour party. The Baird Institute museum is home to much of Cumnocks history. The roads within Cumnock and surrounding areas have been modernised. With Cumnock being such a rural area, we have access to many green areas and woodland walks which are home to different wildlife. There are four main parks in Cumnock: Murray Park, the Woodroad Park, Broomfield and the Flush.

With Cumnock being a small town, everything including pubs, the library, take away and restaurants, schools, shops, hairdressers and beauticians are all within walking distance. Nevertheless there is a local bus and taxi service available to the public. Cumnock was once home to a railway station however after 115 years of service the station was closed in 1965. Cumnock was once a hot spot for people travelling via the A70 and A76 but in 1992 a bypass was built which meant people no longer passed through the town.

Currently the local authority are in the process of building a new school campus which will result in the closure of three primary schools, two secondary schools and a special needs schools as well as the athletic facilities at Broomfield and have a great impact on the leisure centre which is situated on these grounds. There was once a caravan park which included an outdoor swimming pool, putting green and tennis courts but as time moved on the caravan park became less populated and was closed down and the pool was soon demolished in the early 2000s. Cumnock was once home to a picture house which also housed a bingo hall but again without significant funds the site closed down in 1982 and was demolished in 2010. Unfortunately there are now few recreational space within the community.

Cumnock is know for being an industrial town. It the 1880s the town flourished with the discovery or iron and coal. However the miners strike in 1985 had a great impact on the town. Miners lost their jobs and with few jobs remaining many families moved to other neighbours g town’s to find work. Cumnock is surrounded by dairy farms and was once was home to many factories however with their closure a similar situation appeared again. This had a knock on effect which quickly saw local shops and precinct empty and soon demolished. Bus services also suffered as well as local shops.

According to www.scottishairquality.co.uk Cumnock has a low level of three of air pollution. This is most likely due to the closure of factories in Cumnock and the neighbouring towns.

There Are many ways that the urban environment can be taught within schools. Taking a primary 5 class as an example pupils could walk around their urban environment and note what they see, hear and smell. This can the be followed up by a literacy task where the pupils can write an imaginative story or create a story board of their journey to school. Pupils can also incorporate maths by measuring or estimating old or significant buildings with objects found in the environment (i.e. using a tree branch, roughly a metre, to estimate the height of the school).

Websites used
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/cumnock/cumnock/index.html
http://www.cumnockhistorygroup.org/places-hotels-and-inns.html
https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/cumnock-p243111
http://www.scottishairquality.co.uk/