Why teaching?

For me, teaching has always been something I have seriously considered as a career. Both secondary and primary appealed to me, however, I realised that I prefer working with younger children. I enjoy interaction with children, gaining insight into how they view the world. The idea of playing an active role helping children develop their potential greatly appeals to me. I gain huge satisfaction helping them develop their learning skills. It is challenging yet rewarding to present new concepts and observe children as they gain understanding. While subject knowledge is important; good communication is crucial. This is a skill I feel I have developed through my experience working with children.

I have spent approximately ten weeks in a primary school. During this time, my passion for children has developed and I obtained hands on experience of what a day in the life of a teacher involved. I observed and assisted the teacher in a wide range of areas including literacy and numeracy. By leading reading groups, I learned the various levels of ability in the class and the necessity for teachers to consider this when planning lessons and to differentiate accordingly. Another essential skill I further developed was the ability to communicate effectively. This is vital for every teacher to ensure that children are engaged in learning.

I also spent 2 days shadowing a teacher in a school for deaf and blind children- Jordanstown School. This provided an entirely different experience, showing me the challenges that teachers in these schools face. Working with children on the autistic spectrum enabled me to understand that various activities such as hydrotherapy sessions help children relax and concentrate better in the classroom. Time in this environment taught me that children require various types of support and encouragement if they are to succeed with challenging tasks.

Another part of my work experience placement involved speech and language therapy sessions at the deaf and blind school. This allowed me to communicate with children who have auditory problems as well as children from different countries who do not speak English as their first language.

Through my time in the deaf and blind school, I have discovered the importance of teaching modern languages and adapting to each child’s needs. My studies in GCSE French and A level Spanish have helped me to gain confidence in modern languages. They have helped to make me more aware of what it is like for an international student coming into a classroom where their mother tongue is not the primary language spoken. By interacting with children who do not have English as their first language, I gained experience ensuring this does not become a barrier and communication can still be achieved. I believe studying languages at school equips me better to understand the difficulties faced by such children. I would say that I am passionate about the 1+2 Approach in Scottish Education as I am aware of the benefits learning a modern language has on your future. Observing modern language classes in Northern Irish primary schools has allowed me to see the various techniques used to teach younger children modern languages.

The ability to work as part of a team is an essential skill for any teacher. Through participating in hockey, netball, volleyball and summer teams, I have developed my teamwork skills. Other key aspects of teaching are leadership, the ability to take the initiative and be flexible. These are skills I have learnt as a young leader in Rainbow Guides and a leader at holiday Bible clubs for the past 4 years. Teaching requires commitment, enthusiasm and positive relationships with children and staff, along with good organisational and time management skills. By helping in crèche and children’s church at my local church and achieving the Baden Powell Award, I feel better equipped to deal with the challenges teaching presents.

Last year, I developed my leadership skills through my role as Scripture Union President and as a prefect in school. Taking on these new roles required good time management as I had other commitments including school studies and volunteering at a local youth club. I completed the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award, giving me the opportunity to take on many new challenges and remain motivated in demanding situations whilst maintaining a sense of fun.

Teachers play a vital role in today’s world having the potential to shape the future of children. It is essential that young people have dedicated, hardworking and enthusiastic teachers influencing and educating them. I feel I have many of these skills and will continue to improve upon them, making teaching the ideal profession for me.

One thought on “Why teaching?

1. Fantastic blog post Clare! Its very interesting to read the reason for other people choosing teaching! I agree with you in regards to your passion growing when you were actually in a school, it is a fantastic experience to get hands on experience! Having been on a placement last year, that made me even more determined to become a teacher! One part of your post that I find very interesting is when you mention you shadowing a teacher in a deaf school, that must have been a great experience to see the different challenges that are experienced!

Reply