Situated Communication Study Task – Feedback

My partner and I’s areas of strength and areas of improvement were very similar. We both believe that reflective practice is crucial to develop as professionals. Something that surprised me with the videos is that feedback can be positive not just negative which is much more encouraging as it allows us, as student teachers, to gain some self-confidence within ourselves but also realise we are still learning and nothing can ever be perfect. With the first video I believe that Sue Cowley gave the teacher areas for development in a supportive way making the teacher feel more relaxed and able to take the feedback on board. My partner and I believe the practitioner took his criticisms well and seemed willing to work on his areas for development. This may be due to the mentor and the practitioner having a good relationship which is something that was discussed in the videos.

I found these tasks quite challenging as giving critical feedback is something that does not come easy to me. However, as I progress through the course this should become much easier. Feedback should be fair and constructive and this was mentioned in all the videos.

Something I will take on board is that videoing yourself doing lessons is something that can benefit me as a teacher as it gives a sense of reality. It will allow me to reflect on my lessons and critique on things I did well and why I think it went well but also see my areas of development that may have been discussed by other peers or mentors.

I am looking forward to my placement and being in a school environment as a student teacher. It will allow me to further develop my knowledge and will be more aware of my areas of development moving forward.

One thought on “Situated Communication Study Task – Feedback”

1. Glad you are inspired by videos as a way to help you develop your practice, Coryn – great idea andI’m sure you’ll make good progress if you use it!!