Ciaran Inches UWS ITE ePDP

Questions…Questions…Questions…

In my opinion, the main aim of this chapter is to explore the skill of questioning in its entirety. This is done by taking a deeper look into the different forms/types of questions and how effective each type is in relation to communication. Depending on the scenario, different styles of questions could be the most appropriate in order to find the relevant information to the best standard possible.

The key themes within this chapter include education, healthcare, and crime. For each of these main themes they are being related to questions in that particular context appropriate to that theme. Also, in relation to each of the main themes, the purpose of questions as well as the types of questions being used/asked are analysed.

One claim made in the chapter is that “Physicians ask most of the questions and patients provide most of the information” – Brashers et al (2002: 259). Evidence used to substantiate this claim was from, West (1983), who found that of 773 questions identified in 21 doctor-patient consultations, only 68 (9%) were initiated by patients.

One of the theories presented in the chapter is that we see a person better for who they are by listening to the questions they ask and not just the answers they give. “Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions” – Voltaire.

On reflection, I don’t believe I agree with everything published in this chapter. One part I may disagree with is where it is stated that patients don’t feel comfortable asking questions of their doctor for the reason of not wanting to come across as ignorant. My reason for disagreeing is through personal experience of always feeling comfortable and relaxed when discussing anything with my doctor or dentist etc.

I was able to identify meanings for a couple of words I was unsure of by finding them on the Critical Dictionary of Education and noting them down for future reference.

Chapter Reference:

‘Finding out about others: the skill of questioning’, in Hargie, O. (2011) Skilled Interpersonal Communication: Research, Theory and Practice. 5th ed. London: Routledge.