RELIGION, CULTURE AND ‘UNCHURCHED’ SPIRITUALITY

Today’s class was again a head spinner in which we covered a lot of information on religion, culture and ‘unchurched’ spirituality.  Before attending today’s class I knew very little about what ‘unchurched’ spirituality is, now however I know a lot more about what ‘unchurched’ spirituality is.  We learned what ‘unchurched’ spirituality is, some definitions, how and why it came about, the characteristics and some of the criticisms of this concept.  As well as learning about ‘unchurched’ spirituality, we also learned about religion and culture and where the two meet.  We looked at a few of the theorists who wrote about religion and culture, these theorists include: Max Weber (1864-1920), Karl Marx (1818-1883) and Bruce Lincoln (1948-present).  I am still a little fuzzy on what the clear definition of ‘unchurched’ spirituality is, but to remedy this I will look into it in more detail so as to clarify the meaning in my mind.  I think that having attended the previous classes on religion has allowed me to broaden my mind on religion, and I think this open mind will be very useful in the classroom.  It will allow me to teach children about religion with an unbiased opinion of my own and hopefully my open mind will rub off onto the children, thus making them more open the concept of religion and how the various religions differ from each other.  This in turn should hopefully make them more accepting of people’s opinions and their beliefs.