Chloe Hunter UWS ITE ePDP

Societies and Lifestyles- week4

This week in the lecture we discussed inclusion and equality from a disabled point of discussion. I found it very interesting and useful to be able to learn about Allport’s scale of Prejudice and Discrimination and also learn a bit about the theorists which are relative to this field such as Nancy Fraser. I also found that religion and inclusion are linked closely together as people can be subject to discrimination, violence or verbal attacks because of their religion/race.

We also learned about the history of disability and inclusion and how disabled people were subject to mistreatment and humiliation such as being placed in asylums, harmed or being toured around in circuses but we also discussed how attitudes towards disability has changed drastically  over the years and decades. In our seminar later on, we were discussing situations where children with disabilities may be discriminated against and how we could deal with these situations. It was useful to be able to use Allport’s scale to classify these examples and also think if our own examples that we have experienced ourselves.

I now feel that I have a better understanding of this topic and I feel that I would now be able to handle a situation like the ones in the seminar more effectively if they happened in my own classroom. However, I do intend to read further into this topic to further my knowledge.