Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self Confidence  *
 Time Management  *
 Note Taking  *
 Computing Skills  *
 Teamwork  *
 Contribution to Discussions  *
 Work Under Pressure  *

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Time management  When completing homework, and writing essays I will need to hand them in on time and give myself plenty of time to do them to a good standard.  I have handed in all pieces of work on time and proof read everything carefully.
 Teamwork  Work with peers to discuss ideas that we have about the content in our lectures.  I have worked well and been open with my peers which has helped me have a better understanding of the content of the lectures.
 Working Under Pressure  I will meet my deadlines and hand in my work on time as well as attending lectures and juggling my other subjects.  I was able to hand in all of my work before deadlines and complete it to a good standard.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Contribution to Discussions  I will contribute to group discussions more and be confident in my opinions.  I will speak up more when I have a question or opinion about something in group discussions.
 Computing Skills I will practice using applications that I will need to use frequently on computers.
By practicing using applications such as word and excel regularly I will become used to how they work and create a better skill set.
 Note Taking  By taking notes at all opportunities and not trying to write too much I will gain more information.  I have taken notes at all necessary moments in lectures and kept them simple in order to get all of the information written.