Annie Hunter UWS ITE EPDP

Situation and Communication Independent Study Task 25/09/17

Hargie, O. (2011) Skilled Interpersonal Communication: Research, Theory and Practice. 5thed. London: Routledge. Chapter 5

In my opinion the main aim of this chapter was to convey and develop an understanding of questioning and  how important questions are in various situations. Also to understand the link between questions and learning and see how different questions can be asked to aid learning.

Many themes are explored throughout the chapter for example the importance and complexity of questions, children, education, the effects questions have on children and the importance of questions within a classroom enviroment.

One claim which is made throughout the chapter is that even though children are known to constantly ask never-ending questions, due to their inquisitive nature, When put in a classroom environment they tend to ask and respond much less to teachers. It is  stated within the chapter that teachers ask about two questions a minute whereas their pupils ask only two questions an hour (Dillon, 1982).  Children may be more reluctant to ask questions in a classroom environment due to the fear of being wrong or being too embarrassed to speak out in front of other classmates. Stated within the chapter  “fear of negative reaction from class mates” (Dillon, 1988).

A theory  which was argued within this chapter is that teachers should ask closed questions when conducting a lesson because  they help to keep control and order within the classroom. I would tend to  disagree with this statement. I feel open questions are just as important as closed as open questions as open questions allow for the  oppurtunity for discussion meaning children can learn from each other.    However I would agree that closed questions are vital as they help to progress the lesson and stay on track.

I found this chapter on a whole beneficial to read as I gained a deeper understanding on the importance of questions.  It made me think more about questions and the impact questions may have on people. It also made me more aware of how I could approach questions and highlighted the importance of being mindful of the way i would ask a question.

reference list –

“Finding out about others: the Skill of questioning” – Chapter 5 – Hargie, O. (2011) Skilled interpersonal Communication: Research, Theory and Practice 5th ed. London: Routledge