Sustainable Development

My Local Urban Area

I live in a small village outside Kilmarnock called Hurlford so in my town there is a lot of green space – with parks, football pitches and down by the river there is trees and fields. There are two main roads which run through the centre of the town with one leading to Cumnock and one to Kilmarnock. In my town there is two churches – a Baptist church and a Church of Scotland – we used to have 4 but they have been turned into houses/flats. We also have a community centre and some shops which are down the street. Also, we have Hurlford Primary (but it is falling down and is going through an intense makeover) and quite a few little pubs to keep the locals happy. The library is situated next to the football pitches and I think it is still open – I haven’t been in years.

Just up the road from me we have a factory – I’m not sure what it produces but it popped up in the past year and took over the “jaggy park” – as I called it not sure about anyone else – as there was loads of spiky grass and trees  We also have a Co-Op, a Ladbrokes, a chipshop, Indian and Chinese takeaway, a charity shop, a dentist, a doctors surgery and a few small convenience stores. Across from my house there is a swing park, a football clubhouse and a blue cage where you can play basketball or football – or anything you want really.

Transport wise, we have four buses that run through Hurlford – the X76 which takes you to Cumnock or Glasgow; the 2 which goes to Galston or Kilmarnock; the 1 which goes to Priestland or Stewarton and the 1A which only takes you to Kilmarnock.

My town has low air quality and the population density is 97 people per square km

.hurlford-church

Hurlford Church

Learning Log – Urban Environment

Key Learning

After last weeks input on the environment, I feel as though I have more appreciation for the environment around me and where I stay. I realised the harm that Urban Environments cause including carbon emissions, overcrowding and traffic.

Impact on my views/lifestyle

I think that I now understand how I can contribute to making the environment more eco friendly by changing my lifestyle e.g. walking sometimes instead of taking the car and be more c0nsiderate of the environment round about me. I will now think twice about squashing little bugs and pulling flowers out the ground.

Areas of interest to explore further

I will explore how to make my daily life even more eco friendly and how to reduce my carbon emissions in my own daily life.