Digital Technologies – Game-based Learning 06/03/18

Today in Digital Technologies we focused on Game-based Learning, which is when games are used as a stimulus as they often act as a starting point for other activities to follow. In class we started by creating a mind-map to discuss why game-based learning is an effective tool to use in education.  This was very beneficial as it got me thinking of the benefits Game-based Learning has before I created an interdisciplinary plan as part of a group.  The interdisciplinary plan was focused on Mario Kart and we had to create lesson plans in different curricular areas and make links to Curriculum for Excellence experiences and outcomes.

As we created a mind-map at the start of the class on why game-based learning is an effective tool to use in education, we also went back to it at the end and wrote down more on what we had learned throughout the class (picture attached below, pink pen – start/orange pen-end).  At the start of the class we wrote down things such as it is fun, interactive and engaging.  However, by the end of the class our understanding of the benefits Game-based Learning has had been increased massively and we wrote down things such as it has a positive impact on social skills due to children being able to work together, it allows for knowledge to be reinforced, it is stress free and pleasurable and it grabs attention.  I enjoyed creating the mind-map as I find it very rewarding to look back on and see how my understanding has been developed through watching different videos, reading the power point and researching what people such as Marc Prensky say about Game-based Learning.  Along with the benefits we also looked at the challenges Game-based Learning has, such as how it is often difficult to pick a suitable game to carry out.  Game-based Learning can also be seen as time consuming, and some schools may not have the resources or budget to allow it (Learning and Teaching Scotland).  However, after looking at both sides, I fully believe that the advantages outweigh the challenges.

Marc Prensky believes that Game-based Learning makes curricular areas and lessons more motivating and engaging to children (Prensky, 2007). I agree with this fully as during today’s class we had to create a character, using the characters in Mario Kart as inspiration.  Usually I would be apprehensive about drawing but because I knew it was based around a game, I felt more at ease.  Due to this I am excited to plan lessons in the future such as creating characters to feature in a game as it allows for children to use their imagination while learning.

When we started the interdisciplinary plan I became fully aware of the wide range of lessons and curricular areas Game-based Learning fits into.  The curricular areas we focused on were Literacy, Technologies, Numeracy, Expressive Arts and Health and Wellbeing; however, many different lesson plans can be covered for all ages as we had an unlimited amount of ideas just focused around Mario Kart ranging from relatively easy to more difficult.  Game-based Learning being adaptable to all ages is backed up by (Porter, 2004, p.35) when he states “The digital environment provides a unique opportunity to empower people of all ages”.  Some of our ideas were:

During literacy children could write a diary entry based on being in the audience and watching the different races, during this they would need to include adjectives and descriptive words about the setting.  – ‘I can spell the most commonly-used words, using my knowledge of letter patterns and spelling rules and use resources to help me spell tricky or unfamiliar words.’ – LIT 1-21a

The lesson we planned for Technologies was to draw cars and other things included in Mario Kart to create an iStop Motion animation. – ‘I can extend and enhance my design skills to solve problems and can construct models.’ – TCH 2-09a

For numeracy our lesson plan was to give the children a set budget, from this they would have to work out what they can afford to repair a race car and buy to make them go faster etc. – ‘I can manage money, compare costs from different retailers, and determine what I can afford to buy.’ – MNU 2-09a

The Expressive Arts lesson we planned was for the children to create their own cars to stand in by painting and decorating cardboard boxes.  After they have completed their cars they could then preform races in front of their peers.  – ‘I have experienced the energy and excitement of presenting/performing for audiences and being part of an audience for other people’s presentations/performances.’ – EXA 0-01a / EXA 1-01a / EXA 2-01a

This Expressive Arts lesson could then lead onto a Health and Wellbeing lesson as the children could then use their cars to create roads.  This would then be a perfect opportunity to learn children about or reinforce their knowledge on road safety by creating traffic lights, crossings etc. – ‘I know and can demonstrate how to travel safely.’ – HWB 0-18a / HWB 1-18a / HWB 2-18a

After learning about the wide range of benefits Game-based Learning has and how many lessons within the curriculum it fits in, I think that it is essential I am confident in carrying it out to children in future years.  During classes like this my confidence increases as I get to think of lesson plans and also get to enjoy carrying out activities such as creating our own characters, this making me aware that children will too!  I now recognise how important it is that I try my best to keep up to date with the latest games that have been released as I know how quickly children learn to play them, therefore in the future I will hopefully always be aware what games are best to use in certain lessons.  I feel as though this is important so that children’s learning in school is connected with their home life, as they will most likely not enjoy playing games in school that they played years ago at home!

Overall, today’s class made me aware of how important it is to carry out Game-based Learning within the classroom.  This is due to the benefits it has which I mentioned previously, along with the huge amount of lessons that can be created through one game.  I am thankful that this module is increasing my confidence in aspects such as this, as I know how much children will both enjoy and learn from lessons inspired by a game.  Therefore, if I can teach Game-based Learning to the best of my ability in the future then children will get the most out of their lessons that I plan and carry out.

References:

Porter, B. (2004) Digi Tales: The Art of Telling Digital Stories. United States: Bernajean Porter Publication.

Prensky, M. (2007) Digital Game-Based Learning. United States: Paragon House.

Learning and Teaching Scotland. (2010) The impact of console games in the classroom: [Online] Available: https://www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/FUTL25/FUTL25.pdf [Accessed 6 March 2018]