Curriculum

The first UK Child Internet Safety Strategy was launched in December 2009.  Scottish Government launched its own specific Action Plan in February 2010 to help address some of the Child Internet Safety and Responsible use issues in Scotland.

The Scottish Action plan specifically uses the words‘responsible use’ following any reference to ‘child internet safety’ as Scottish Government believe we are only going keep our children safe on line through education and by teaching them to use the Internet responsibly.  This blog follows that ethos.

The report also  makes reference to the fact that Internet Safety and Responsible Use IS the responsibility of all staff.

The experiences and outcomes where this is specifically mentioned include:

Technologies Level 1 – 2

“I am developing my knowledge and use of safe and acceptable conduct as I use different technologies to interact and share experiences, ideas and information with others”.

Technologies Level 3

“By considering ways to protect technological devices, I can act safely and responsibly when selecting and using different technologies to communicate and collaborate”.

“I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible”.

As you will know if you are Scottish teacher or have at least read and understood a Curriuclum for Excellence. Health and Wellbeing is the Responsibility of all professionals.

Google ranks

It is also important to remember that when we talk about Child Internet Safety and Responsible Use we are not just referring to online grooming and the protection of children from sexual abuse.

We are also, very importantly, referring to the education of children and young people to help them become more digitally literate. Once again, this falls under the responsibility of all professionals within CfE and it is particularly well illustrated in the following outcome:

Literacy Levels 2 – 4

“To help me develop an informed view, I am exploring the techniques used to influence my opinion. I can recognise persuasion and assess the reliability of information and credibility and value of my resources”

Furthermore, all Scottish teachers also have a commitment to the protecting of children as part of the Standard for Registration of the GTCS.

Gtcs-logoReferred to in the GTCS Standard for Full Registration under:

3.1 Professional values and personal commitment

“Registered teachers show in their day-to-day practice a commitment to social justice, inclusion and caring for and protecting children”.

Any teacher wishing to fulfill this part of the standard must understand that ‘protecting children’ includes ‘off-line’ and ‘on-line’. Particularly considering that many young people do not see a difference in the two areas, partly because they are always connected.

This was highlighted in the Child Exploitation On-line Protection (CEOP)Agencies 2008 – 2009 Strategic Overview:

“[young people] do not differentiate between online and offline”

That is why exemplification of CfE with regard to ‘effective’ practice for the raising awareness and the teaching about child Internet safety and responsible use IS mentioned as an action point within the Scottish Action Plan.

There is a wider discussion to have about the interesting differences between the level of access to some web tools within different parts and within different schools in Scotland.

Take part in this discussion, or to comment on anything you have read, log in to Glow and have your say.

Adapted from http://olliebray.typepad.com/olliebraycom/2010/03/the-scottish-action-plan-for-child-internet-sfaety-and-responsible-use.html with permission.