Out to Play is a creative learning project delivered by Eco Drama in which Drama Artists collaborate with partner Primary Schools and Nurseries to explore the role of Drama and Storytelling in Outdoor Learning. The project facilitates interaction with the natural world through quality artistic experiences, re-thinking traditional views of nature and noticing and appreciating nature on our doorstep. Sessions are tailored to the unique surroundings of each school playground, and through imaginative play and adventurous learning, Out to Play aims to deepen young people’s connection to our natural world.
Out to Play Teacher CPD Opportunities 2017
As part of the project, Eco Drama have some upcoming Out to Play Teacher CPD opportunities which were a popular element of the 2015 pilot project, designed to engage primary school teachers in arts-based outdoor learning. The sessions are open to teachers from any primary school across Scotland.
Eco Drama will be running after school twilight CPD sessions on the following dates in 2017:
- 26th September 2017 – 3.30-5.30pm – Dalmarnock Primary School, Glasgow **PLACES LIMITED**
- 27th September 2017 – 3.30-5.30pm – Dalmarnock Primary School, Glasgow **PLACES LIMITED**
- 20th November 2017 – 3.30-5.30pm – venue tbc
- 21st November 2017 – 3.30-5.30pm – venue tbc
- 22nd November 2017 – 3.30-5.30pm – venue tbc
- 23rd November 2017 – 3.30-5.30pm – venue tbc
During the 2 hour session, teachers will explore how to integrate outdoor learning into the school curriculum and how to utilise creative learning methods such as drama, storytelling, song and movement in order to engage learners with the natural environment. Participating teachers will also be provided with their very own Out to Play Outdoor Learning Resource Pack.
The session will be led by Eco Drama’s Out to Play Drama Artist, Ben Mali Macfadyen, who will ensure that there is a mixture of activities and discussion tailored to the various ages and stages of the primary school curriculum.
By the end of the CPD teachers will;
- Have an increased understanding of the role of drama and storytelling within outdoor learning.
- Have improved knowledge, confidence & skills in delivering arts-based outdoor learning.
- Have actively participated in creative learning and nature connection activities which can be delivered with children.
- Have a bank of ideas and resources on which to draw on for future outdoor learning.
“I hadn’t realised the power of imagination within outdoor learning. Really informative session, lots of ideas to start with. Thank you.”
Irene Boyle, Corpus Christi Primary
“Best CPD event I have been to in ages.”
Catriona Brown, Battlefield Primary
“Excellent ideas and superb resource which I intend to use ASAP.”
Ellie Henderson, Knightswood Primary
The cost is £45 per teacher, which includes the Out to Play Resource Pack (usual retail cost £16). Each CPD event is limited to 20 attendees and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
To book a place please email email@example.com detailing how many teachers you would send and confirming which date (s) would be suitable.
Alternatively, Eco Drama could visit your school with a dedicated CPD session for all of your teachers to attend. If this option is of interest, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org / 0141 552 9920 to discuss.
“A wonderful experience for the children and myself. A fresh look on how to develop Outdoor Learning in a more creative manner. Fantastic experience.” Tommy Hynes, Teacher, Corpus Christi Primary, participating school in pilot project 2015
More Info CPD: http://www.ecodrama.co.uk/workshops/out-to-play-cpd-workshop/
Short film about Out to Play 2015: https://vimeo.com/141887997