Dumfries House Hosts Inaugural Ayrshire Artist Gathering

Stephen Kay, Education Officer for The Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House said

“I was delighted to host the first Ayrshire Artist Networking Event at Dumfries House, organised by Helen Duncan and Jenny Hunter, Cultural Co-ordinators for East and South Ayrshire respectively, providing a venue for over fifty local artists and creative practitioners of various mediums and professionalisms to meet and highlight their individual areas of interest and expertise.”

After a short tour of the House by Charlotte Rostek, Curator of Dumfries House, a keynote speech was delivered by Mark Chester, Executive Director of The Princes Drawing School in London in support of art & culture locally and nationally, and whose foundation has recently opened artist studios on the Dumfries House estate.  This fantastic new facility will support art education throughout Ayrshire and beyond as part of the educational vision for Dumfries House through the support and involvement of “The Prince’s Drawing School”, “The Prince’s School of Traditional Arts”, “The Prince’s Foundation for Children and the Arts” and as a major part of His Royal Highness, The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay’s Heritage Regeneration programme.

Helen Duncan, Cultural Co-ordinator

“I was overwhelmed with the response – not only are these Ayrshire artists and makers producing their own work, but working with children and young people delivering high quality creative learning opportunities for schools.  This is essentially a business network for artists to connect, collaborate, share and support.”

Tom Wilson, local Visual Artist and runs Wild and West

“I know I’m not alone in thinking that the splendour of the house and the warmth of the welcome aside, this was an exciting and inspirational event at Dumfries House. The enthusiasm of the speakers for its development as a centre for cultural education and learning made me feel very lucky to have it on my doorstep.  It is a very healthy, holistic, imaginative vision, enabling art, culture and heritage to make a strong contribution to the regeneration and development of this area as a whole.  At a personal level I came away knowing that Dumfries House is genuinely keen to offer opportunities to local artists.”

The Sundancer, Ayrshire Singer/Songwriter

“The opportunity to deliver songwriting workshops at Dumfries House is fantastic – particularly as I was lucky to purchase my first guitar through a grant from The Princes’ Trust when I first started playing nearly 20 years ago.  I look forward to working with local young people at Dumfries House, sharing my knowledge and experience to give them support which I have received.”

Ruth Carslaw, Film-Maker

“As the event unfolded you could genuinely feel a shared sense of purpose and momentum – propelled by the great speakers, fellow artists and the building itself!   I left feeling that Dumfries House will become a creative hub for all – artists and communities alike.”

The next event is proposed to be held in the new year at University of West of Scotland.  For further details or to be kept informed of future events, please contact helen.duncan@east-ayrshire.gov.uk or jenny.hunter@south-ayrshire.gov.uk