Sunny Govan Radio Station trip – By Zeenat & Mimi

So today, we went on a trip to Sunny Govan Radio Station. We met Heather, the person in charge and also the founder of the station. Here we were working on the live radio program with Steg.

Things we enjoyed:

• Introducing songs and choosing them
  • Doing interviews live
  • Using the mixing desk
  • Seeing Steg
  • Recording a message for the unity project
  • Singing to a local man called Archie

What we learnt:

• Being safe on the journey
  • Using the mixing desk again
  • Being responsible
  • Using our voices on air
  • The story of Sunny Govan- Heather started by only walking down a street and asking the community if they wanted a radio station and the community named it Sunny Govan.
  • The three main jobs of Sunny Govan- Manager, producer and DJ
  • The purpose of Sunny Govan- to make people happy in our community but still needing to make money to run the organisation.

So here we were in front of the new Mary Barbour statue. Mary was a political activist, in the early 20th century. We were set a challenge by Brian, a local historian, to count how many people were part of the statue. We all got it wrong a few times but eventually we discovered 17.

3 thoughts on “Sunny Govan Radio Station trip – By Zeenat & Mimi”

1. Hi There,

Could you tell me how I could organise a visit to the Radio Station for 2 Ladies I work with that have additional needs. Both are very keen on Radio and I would love to bring them along to visit. I work with them on a Thurday if this was possible. Many Thanks.

2. Hi Lesley sorry for delay in replying. I would call up Sunny G…number on http://www.sunnyg.com and look at the work they do. There may be something for them but a visit is always possible. If you ask for Heather when you call Lesley. Chees!
    Drew