Developing the Young Workforce in Notre Dame

Career Information

Job Profile 2 – Michelle Crossan-Matos, Samsung

Name: Michelle Crossan-Matos

Organisation:  Samsung Electronics America

Job Title: SVP Strategy & Transformation

Location: New Jersey, US

Where I started:

I grew up in the Gorbals, Glasgow and left there in 1998 at the age of 21. I joined P&G in Frankfurt, Germany where my first role was in the IT division, supporting our supply chain systems.

Where I am now:

I am the Senior Vice President of Corporate Strategy, Innovation and Transformation at Samsung Electronics America. With more than 20 years of expertise in propelling billion-dollar brands forward by innovating through disruptive business models, I have led multifaceted organizations and managed large business franchises across the globe. At Samsung, I lead overall corporate strategy, innovation, transformation, and new business incubation.

Advice: 

1) Dream Big and always stay true to your passions and heart. Only you truly know what you are capable of and only you can make it happen! Remember, there is nothing that you can’t overcome at school or work, because you’ve likely experienced greater circumstances or challenges at school or when you have been growing up. Life tests you. Each of you have had to overcome an obstacle or two or ten. These are learning moments that – when viewed through a different lens – can give you the perspective you need as you grow.

2) Build Grit: Some will tell you creativity, empathy, being nimble, taking risks, etc. Yes to all of the above – but nothing beats the combination of positivity and true grit. Positivity is essential to energize and inspire your team to work on a task or vision – and see opportunities, not limitations. However, this positivity needs an added dimension – a backbone supporting it and giving it credibility. That is why positivity needs to be paired with grit, especially in the face of adversity.

Webster’s Dictionary defines Grit as (n) Firmness of mind; invincible spirit; unyielding courage; fortitude.

You need to have the tenacity to fight the battles that others won’t or can’t, while being positive and rallying the troops.

3) Learn to make good decisions: One of the key mistakes that I see most people making is not realizing they’re at a crossroads requiring a decision. Sadly, their lack of decisive action turns out to be a decision in the end – one that locks them into a future down a path they don’t really fancy so much. So, when you realize you’re at a crossroads, flush out the impact of that longer term. Ask yourself if you will be proud of this decision in 10 years’ time.

4) Your intuition is your superpower. We use our intuition every day in thousands of ways. We use is it in every transaction, negotiation and relationship we engage in. The more experience you have, the more refined your intuition is – the more confident you are. So, harness your intuition. Trust your gut and go for it!