First writer visit of the year!

St Mungo’s Academy may not have a library yet (#refurbishmentIsTakingForever) but it’s not stopping me to promote reading for pleasure as much as I can and with the resources I have (which are very limited these days…).

So when I saw Scottish Book Trust opportunity to host a fully funded writer visit, I seized the chance and applied for the “ Talk including inspiration, writing journey and readings”. I was really delighted to have been selected to host the writer Manjeet Mann as part of the Scottish Friendly Children’s Book Tour. 

I’m glad to have started this new year with this event. Manjeet Mann stories explore the refugee crisis and identity as well as looking at freedom and rebellion. They are perfect topics to inspire young minds.

She shared her verse novels, “The Crossing” & “Run, Rebel”, and spoke about her journey to becoming a writer. She also talked about her charity, Run the World, a not for profit that uses sport and theater as a means to empower women and girls.

At the end of the session the pupils had the opportunity to discuss with her, to show their own writing, to get some writing tips and to buy a signed copy of her books.

Hosting Manjeep Mann session was an invaluable experience that encouraged reading for pleasure and wider reading in our school. It was an incredible opportunity and a strong support to the whole work done so far to enhance a reading culture in St Mungo’s.

Thank you Scottish Book Trust for this wonderful opportunity.

Now let’s work on the next one 😉