Happy Tuesday / 12th May 2020

Hello P5,

I hope you had a lovely holiday weekend and managed to get ouside and enjoy the sunshine. As last week’s focus at St Albert’s was the outdoors the school staff have put together a short video for you to watch about being outside and enjoying nature. Why don’t you send me some pictures of you outside to post on our class blog.

Today’s Learning Tasks

Literacy-

In class we completed some work on identifing similes and metaphors.

A metaphor is a word or a phrase used to describe something as if it were something else.

For example: A wave of terror washed over him.

The terror isn’t actually a wave, but a wave is a good way to describe the feeling.

Another example is: Jess is dynamite.

Jess isn’t made of dynamite, but it’s a good way to explain how exciting she is.

A simile describes something by comparing it to something else using the words like or as.

For example:

• The snake moved like a ripple on a pond.

• It was as slippery as an eel.

• Jess is as graceful as a gazelle.

Watch the short video clips from BBC bitesize (link below) and then try the short activities to check your understanding of similes and metaphors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zk68wty

Maths-

Calculating perimeter

The perimeter is the distance all the way around the outside of a 2D shape. To work out the perimeter, add up the lengths of all the sides.

Watch the BBC bitesize video (link below) and then attempt the three activities. Good luck!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zbcnf4j

Remember you can send me your completed work or post a comment to let me know if you are finding it too easy or a bit tricky.

Email me at-

gw19hughesannefrance@glow.sch.uk

Missing you all,

Mrs Hughes

3 thoughts on “Happy Tuesday / 12th May 2020”

1. Mrs Hughes I went on bikes to Pollok
    And Maxwell park nearly everyday my legs where killing me so
    I just went to sleep

1. Hi Mohamed,

Great to hear from you. It sounds as though your bike rides have been really tuff so you must be super fit. I have rode my bike a few times but you have inspired me to go to Pollok Park so I might see you which would be nice. Let me and your class mates know what else you are doing. Keep up the exercise.
      Miss you,
      Mrs Hughes