Promoting Positive Behaviour

Fife Council is committed to safe schools and to an active anti-bullying strategy being developed within each school.

In our nursery children’s social skills will be fostered in an environment where positive behaviour is actively promoted.

It is vital for all staff to develop a consistent approach to managing children’s behaviour.

It is not helpful for adults to sort out children’s disagreements for them. Careful support and management of issues will help children to manage their own behaviour, to learn how to negotiate and to be self-disciplined.

Offer solutions:-

Teach children how to say ‘no’ to each other, firmly but kindly.

• “Please don’t push me, I don’t like it.”
  • “I will give you this spade if I can use that bucket now.”
  •  “I will give you this spade as soon as I have filled my bucket.”

Children will soon realise that they can take control of these situations. Staff need to observe and to be aware of children’s relationships and any difficulties which arise.

In a few cases a specific programme may need to be developed by the staff team to support a child.

Difficult behaviour can occur for a number of reasons:

• a new baby
  • family difficulties – unemployment/ill health
  • separation or divorce
  • bereavement
  • moving house
  • different rules and expectations at home

Some children find sharing toys and space more difficult than others.

Bullying

Nursery children are just beginning to learn how to relate to other children and adults. They are at the very early stages of developing friendships and have a lot to learn.

Some children find learning to share and playing alongside other children more difficult than others.

If a child or group of children need help to ‘get along’ or to share, staff will plan to support them until they can begin to manage their own behaviour.

Behaviour and Relationships Policy

Behaviour management policy

Support, Succeed and Shine