Senior Interdisciplinary Learning Partnership

In early September 2014, Yvonne McBlain of Falkirk Council Education Services met  with Alan Christie, Community Engagement Manager and his colleague David Love of Falkirk Council Housing Services to explore potential partnership working. Alan and David had noticed links between the pupil entitlements of our education services policy Learning to Achieve, and their Housing Services’ Tenants’ & Residents Participation Strategy 2013-16. They hope to involve Falkirk young people from S5 & 6 in a Stepping up to Scrutiny Course (click to view) they intend to run between February and March 2015. The course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Housing – level 3 (GCSE equivalent) Award in Resident Scrutiny http://glo.li/Z6MOgx . The course  takes around 5 days over 8-12 weeks and pupils will work with politicians, senior managers, residents and employment training unit participants. This would therefore be a very diverse working group which could significantly enrich the experience of the young people involved.

Initial discussion between Alan, David and Yvonne suggested that this opportunity might enhance and enrich existing course work in Modern Studies. Yvonne will also consult school pupil council representatives about the opportunity  and alert colleagues in a pastoral or careers advice role. Participation in this course offers valuable chances to challenge and apply a range of transferable and higher order skills such as: development of text analysis, interpersonal skills, team working, and a culminating task which will require pupils to collaboratively evaluate a range of data and apply systems thinking to their suggested action plan.

One comment

1. says:

Hi
    I am a Primary Teacher in the scottish Borders. I worked previously for Falkirk Council(Grange Primary,Bo’ness)
    I am currently teaching primary 2 and we are about to start planning our next topic-Toys. I am keen to use a storyline approach and have read here on your blog that teachers at Bantaskin Primary have done this already.
    Would it be possible to have some further notes or copies of planning? I would be most interested and extremely grateful.
    Kindest Regards
    Louise Russell