St. Mark's Art Class with Mrs McIntyre

The only time I feel alive is when I am painting. Vincent Van Gogh

Favourite Painting of the Month.

May 2018 Favourite Painting by Mrs Nelson

Mrs Nelson is a serious ambassador of the visual arts. Her classrooms are always a tribute to her belief in visual art. Her art lessons are very skills based. So what is Mrs Nelson’s favourite?

Well, Edgar Degas has caught Mrs Nelson’s eye.

‘ I love the way he catches the movement, the elegance, the line of the ballerina’s legs and arms and clothing. I used to dance many years ago, and the whole series he did captures the hard work behind a show. I had this one in print for years, it was the first one I ever bought, aged 13!!!!

Dancer  Edgar Degas 1880

April 2018 Favourite Painting by Mrs Hamilton

Mrs Hamilton is a bit a of a secret art critic! Not much passes her sharp eye, this was demonstrated during one of St Mark’s school art trips to Kelvingrove. Upon observing the internationally acclaimed painting Anna Pavlova by Sir John Lavery, Mrs Hamilton pointed out that there was a careless paint drip at the bottom of the canvas! Please go and see if she was correct!
HOWEVER, Mrs Hamilton’s most favourite painting is by Avril Paton. There is no accidental paint spills here as Mrs Hamiton has given it a serious once over!
‘My favourite painting is Windows in the West by Avril Paton because it’s beautiful. I love the snow scene and the fact it’s of a stunning Glasgow tenement building. I love the colours of the stone and the curves of the architecture. Im also incredibly nosey and love looking in peoples windows as I walk by especially when they are all lit up in winter so this painting is perfect to satisfy my nosiness. I can stare at it for hours wondering about all the characters who they are and what they are doing.”

Windows In The West

On January 11th 1993 at about 5:30pm, there came a sudden heavy blizzard. In ten minutes it was over and the view from the attic window at Athole Gardens overlooking Saltoun Street was transformed. The lilac pink sky, the lit windows, the clarity of whiteness where there had been darkness – it was magic. By morning all the snow had gone and the effect was never to be repeated during that winter.
This building is uncommon in that many of the occupants work at home, often beyond office hours. That factor combined with the goodly number of children, young persons and sociable adults living there, gives the place a very lively appearance, particularly on a winters evening before curtains are drawn and children sent to bed.

Year: 1993 Actual Size: 48″ x 60″ Media: Watercolour On Paper

https://avrilpaton.co.uk/prints/windows-in-the-west

June’s Favourite Painting by Mrs Fitzsimmons.

Well, Mrs Fitzsimmons has so many favourites she struggled to make up her mind! But when pressed for a decition here are her two most favourite!

“I find the work of Escher fascinating and I love to study his impossible constructions. My favourite being RELATIVITY.” 1953 Lithograph. 294mm x 282mm.

“I love to study the work done by Salvador Dali. One of his most famous pieces of work ‘THE PERSISTANCE OF MEMORY’ often called ‘CLOCKS’ makes me question and wonder what he was thinking when he painted this. There are many theories to this, but no one knows it’s significance is. I find it fascinating that so many different theories can be drawn from one piece and I too have my own theory……..”

1931. Oil on canvas, 9 1/2 x 13″ (24.1 x 33 cm)

May’s Favourite Painting by Mrs Rook.

“I think the girl in the painting is really loved.” Mrs Rook.

THE KISS was painted by the Austrian Symbolist painter Gustav Klimt between 1907 and 1908. This was a bit of a controversial paining. It was a controversial painting initially but is now one of the most recognised and celebrated paintings in the world,

“If you can not please everyone with your deeds and your art, please a few” Gustav Klimt- Wikipedia