Medieval Day and Banquet

The day is finally here! After lots of planning and preparation with the children: crowns made, King and Queen appointed, invitations written, placemats designed, dances coordinated, poems and songs learned, not forgetting the Jester jokes, and feast organised and tables decorated. We have had  a magnificent day! 👑🏰🏹🎶day! 👑   

Dundonald Castle

We had a wonderful sunny day at Dundonald.  It was so much fun seeing the knight and viking as we climbed up the hill to the castle.  We dressed up, we toured the castle, we had jousting games and horseshoe throwing, we had a super picnic on the grass, we held swords and shields and drank from a horn. Luna, the owl flew and landed on our arm to get some food. It was the best day out and we learned so much more about life in the olden days.

Castles

We are having great fun with our castle topic.  Our castle is coming on well, designing the battlements, painting the brickwork and carving out the doors and windows.   We have been learning about all the different parts of a castle and what they were used for.  We have also been labelling the items a knight wears and the equipment he used in battles.

Happy Easter🐥🐰🍫

A last wee blog from Mrs MacLaren in P1a. As you all know I have loved having the pleasure of teaching,caring and nurturing your children. Thank you for entrusting me with such an important job- I have loved every minute and will miss them very much.❤️

Thank you all for your generous comments, thoughts, cards, gifts and children- cuddles. I look forward to hearing how well the children all continue to flourish in the wonderful care of Mrs Ness.

Have a a wonderful and relaxing Easter.🐥

Learning and Play

There have been quite a few changes to our classroom recently. We have all taken part in deciding what we would like in our classroom together. We are really excited to have a new sand and water tray, small world play and block play area to go with our already much loved loose parts area.  Please ask us about our new furniture and resources, Mums and Dads. We are loving learning in our newly designed classroom where learning is play and play is learning😀

Tick Tock⌚️🕰

We have been learning all about the differences between analogue and digital clocks. We have been drawing our own clocks, practising recognising and writing o’clock times, and playing games with ourselves as human clocks!!!! We have enjoyed working independently, in pairs and in groups- and have had so much fun learning!!!⌚️🕰

We hope you enjoy reading our blog. Let us know what you think about our learning journey. Thank you for visiting our page.👍🏻

Practising tricky words📝

We have been trying to learn some new tricky words this week at home and in class. We have been working with friends in class  to peer assess each other and really enjoyed doing this together. We are using some different strategies to help us, including; read cover write, and using magnetic and natural letter stones/wooden blocks to spell them out and write them. Our word tubs are starting to get full with all the new words we can read and this is really helping us when we are doing our reading books.📚

“This is the word she.”  Stuart

” I really love now I can write words.❤️”  Holly

Mrs MacLaren is really pleased with all the work we are doing at home on these too. #proud#parentalengagement

Keep up the good work!!👌🏻

Burns Day Celebration

We have been learning about Robert Burns and why we celebrate Burns Day in Scotland. We have enjoyed designing and creating our own tartan, learning and practicing Scottish dancing, and singing some of the old favourite Scottish songs.🎶

We really enjoying bringing in Scottish items to show the class and some of us wore tartan for our Scottish dance performance. We loved showing off our new moves to our Grandparents. Mrs MacLaren was so proud of  how hard we worked and how well we did!!!

We also listened to Mrs Armstrong playing the bagpipes and tasted a wee bit of shortbread.😋

Hello everyone!

Primary 1A and 1B have had a quick and busy first term settling into the ‘big school’! They have very quickly became Responsible Citizens, Effective Contributors, Confident Individuals and Successful Learners. Friendships have been made, memories are in the making and lots of adventures are being had! Here are a few words from the children…

P1A- Ryan ‘I like using loose parts to build things with Jamie and my friends.’
           Grace ‘I liked playing with the money and writing on the receipts.’
           Cameron ‘I like landing on the numbers when you go up the ladders.’
           Stuart ‘I was matching the money to buy the toy. It was 5p.’
           Lucy ‘I liked reading The Bear Hunt and doing writing and art work for the classroom wall.’
           Kara D ‘I drew my selfie for the cloakroom wall. I used a mirror to look at myself.’
           Seth ‘I like learning lots of new sounds so that I can write words. This was b and d.’

P1B- Zachary ‘I love Golden Time!’
           Eilidh ‘Playing with Alfred!’
           Lily ‘Playing with my friends.’
           Lois ‘I like learning to write and doing calculations!’
           Sophia ‘I liked learning the s sound!’
           Zach ‘I like running and learning to write.’
           Katy ‘I like the wake and shake and doing homework.’
Please follow our blogs and share in our exciting learning journey throughout the coming months. Thank you for your lovely comments that were written in the children’s big books at parent’s evening.

Many thanks

P1A and Mrs MacLaren
                                                                 P1B and Mrs Jack