Patterns, Messy Spaghetti & Obstacles!

The interest in loom bands has continued to grow this week, the children have been creating necklaces, rings, and more difficult double band bracelets. It has been great to see more of the children doing this independently and they are now even better and faster than Mrs Taggart! They have also explored pattern following simple and more complex patterns like the rainbow, while singing the rainbow song

“Im going to make one for my little sister, I need the letters BFF that means best friends forever” – NM

“I am so good at this” – FM

“Green, Pink and purple comes next” MS

“Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and blue oh and indigo and violet too” – MW

This week in the malleable area the children have been exploring some sensory play with ‘messy spaghetti.” They have been participating in number and letter hunts in the spaghetti. They have been developing their fine motor skills as they used the tongs to search for numbers. They were identifying initial sounds and differentiating between numbers and letters. They were also using descriptive language as they explored the texture.

“It feels slimey.”

“It is oily.”

“It looks like a wiggly worm.”

This week in the construction area the children have been making their builds on a big scale.The children utilised the resources to create their own obstacle course that spanned the whole length of the play room.The children exercised their gross motor skills as they climbed and balanced and created extra challenge as they used unusual objects. 

MM “ this bit is tricky cos you need to go around”

RM “i’m wobbly”

The children have also been constructing castles this week,complete with its own drawbridge and thrones. They engaged in imaginative play as they took the parts of;kings,Queens,dragons,and knights. They have shown an interest in some of the finer details of these structures and have been exploring; coat of arms,flags,and pennants. 

AE “The girls are queens and the boys can be kings”

“It’s a magic castle because it can turn into a plane”

II “I’m a princess”

“ Oh no the dragon is burning the castle down!”

DC “I’m going to be the knight,the knight fights the dragon”

AC “I’m going to be the dragon”

This week in the literacy area the children have been writing their own letters for people they love. We have talked about the different reasons we might write a letter and how they get delivered. The children enjoyed writing their own messages and deciding who they were going to give them to. We also discussed what we needed to include on the envelope, such as the person’s name, their address and a stamp. The children drew some lovely pictures and decided to add some extra touches, including love heart post it notes.

LM – “You write people’s names”, “I want to send a letter because he lives far away in     London and I miss him”, “they’re from the postman”

NM – “I’m choosing love heart stickers because I love Granny, she lives in Wick”, “if some of our family are far away we write letters to know what they’re doing every day”

GC – “It says Daddy, Mummy, and Gabby”

MM – “You need a stamp, “you need to write the number of the door”

RB – “Mine is for Mummy”

This week the children have shown a great interest in the strawberries in the garden and speaking about the lifestyle of the plants.  We picked some of the strawberries and decided to make our own jam. The children showed great chopping skills and made sure they kept safe while using a knife. The  children then enjoyed spreading the jam on top of  biscuits and ate them for snack. 

RM – “Seed soil and water to make it grow.”

SC – “I see a strawberry that is ready.”

RM – “Green ones are poisonous and not growing yet.” 

“I’m cutting like my mummy.” 

DC – “We wash our hands so we don’t get germs.”