Images

7b Blog November

Here is our November blog, 7b have written about just some of the learning experiences undertaken so far this term. At the end we would also like to celebrate some achievements from the last couple of months. We hope you enjoy!

Social Studies (Zara, Kirsten, Mairi & Kyle)

During the first term of Primary 7 we have chosen different types of conflicts we wanted to learn about. We chose 5 very different conflicts, some that have included the UK and Scotland. For World War 2 we have created timelines for important events. We have also made remembrance poems and looked at propaganda posters.

“Propaganda art was my favourite part as we all got to decide what we thought it was about and how it influenced us.” (Kirsten)

“It is very enjoyable to learn about the important people and events of these wars.” (Zara)

Art (Emily, Aribah & Kimberley)

In Art we have created poppy art and enjoyed it because we had multiple choices to choose from, like pastel drawing, Van Gogh art, finger paint, and silhouette.

Katie and Daisy taught an art lesson to the class with water colours and Katie said “I felt like a real teacher when I did teach a lesson, I got to choose what I wanted to teach. Everyone did very well with watercolours.”

Our main focus in Art is Conflict and Resolution. We have created a massive picture about what we wanted to learn. To make this we used a variety of resources such as card, paint, tissue paper, glitter and more.

We are excited to see how our Art will progress throughout the year.

Writing (Ellis, Iona & Euan)

In Writing we have been creating stories and poems about the World Wars. We have also been creating our class assembly scripts, descriptive stories and poems. These have been developing our skills in using similes, metaphors, personification and adjectives.

When we wrote our Remembrance poem we looked at famous poems such as In Flanders Field and Dolce et decorum est. These gave us ideas about what to write about. We then wrote a descriptive Declaration of War (kind of) diary entry and had to include metaphors, similes and personification to describe the atmosphere.

We have been further developing our skills in using similes and ambitious adjectives. We wrote a descriptive story about fruit, trying to recreate James and the Giant Peach.

French (Matthew, Katie & Mia)

In French we have been learning lots of ways to describe our appearance and personality. We have been learning how to change words depending on the gender of the person.

“We think French is interesting because we are learning about a different language and place.” (Matthew)

ICT (Aidan & Ruairdh)

In ICT we have been learning to code microbits. We have also been making Scratch animations to code sprites to turn, move or bounce. We have now learned to make animations or games using conditional repetition.

This year the whole of P7 have been using ICT to create iMovies and a Scratch Project for the School Improvement Plan.

This year Ruaridh and Mia will help Mr Hendry and the school with ICT equipment.

“I have been developing my skills in ICT by learning new ways to code on Scratch”. (Katie)

PE (Ibrahim, Hamish, Travis & Hamzah)

“I enjoyed Hamish’s ‘teach a lesson’ because he taught us the basics of rugby like catching, passing, working as a team, and some of the rules like passing it back” (Ibrahim).

We have had a taste of Volleyball from a coach called Andy. He taught us skills like a serve and a dig. Hamzah thought it was amazing, exciting and engaging.

Declan and Euan led a lesson on how to dribble and pass in football. “It was fun to play more football” (Travis).

We have been focusing on possession games and how to keep the ball by thinking fast so we can score.

Health & Wellbeing (Freya, Niamh & Erin)

We have been learning about good (medical) drugs and bad or illegal drugs and how they affect the human body. We had a visit from PC Grant Traynor and we also discovered categories of drugs and the harmful effects they have on the human body: Upper, Downer and Confuser. Some drugs can be an Upper and Confuser, or a Downer and Confuser.

Leadership (Freya, Niamh & Erin)

We have been writing a file on the leadership we have shown in P7.

For example:

“I have been very busy looking after my buddy and I made my file about her. I hope Eloise has a great school time because I have had an amazing 6 years”. (Niamh)

“I have had a great few weeks in the Pupil Council and I’m excited about what’s to come.” (Freya)

“I’ve been very busy with my reading buddy, making sure they can understand the book and help them with some of the words they struggle with” (Erin)

Achievements

Kimberley Maguire – Learning new skills at Netball club & working as part of a group to make and edit the final child friendly school improvement plan which was shown at assembly.

Zara Ali – Being hard working and cooperating while doing her job at the community café at a very busy table.

Aidan Thomson – Completing Level 4 Sailing and Level 2 Windsurfing in very choppy waters.

Mairi McGurn – Despite being disappointed about not getting a house captain role she put a lot of effort into her RRS application and was successful and taken her new leadership role very seriously.

Niamh Taylor-Young – Succeeding in lighting a fire with flint and steel for the first time and creating a new top using her sewing skills.

Freya Campbell – Showing determination in managing her own table at the Community Café, including her own family.

We have also had various competitors representing the school in Badminton, Football, Running and Swimming over the last couple of months. Well done everyone!