Friday Bundle 22.04.2022

Hello again everyone

We hope you all had a wonderful holiday.  It has been a busy first week back- and it has been lovely to see all the children and staff again, well rested after a much needed holiday!

This week, we have been delighted to welcome our new Acting Principal Teacher to Netherlee, Miss Jennifer McCann.  Jennifer will mostly be working with Nursery and Primary 1 and we are certain that she will be a real asset to the Netherlee Community. Jennifer is looking forward to getting to know all of our wonderful Netherlee children and families in this exciting and busy final term.  For Primary 1 parents, your point of contact until the end of term can either be Mrs Sweeney or Miss McCann.  Lynn and Jennifer are working very closely together throughout this term and either will be able to help you with anything.

Local Resident Safety Concerns
Unfortunately, I have been asked to send another reminder regarding safety around our school and nursery (please see below). I therefore must ask that all parents and carers always keep the safety of everyone, children and adults alike, our top priority at all times- thank you.

“Local residents of the nearby sheltered housing complex have raised concerns about the conduct of parents whilst picking their children up from Netherlee Primary and Nursery. There is double parking, parking on dropped kerbs and the situation was described as dangerous suggesting that a child or elderly resident was going to be injured or worse. When challenged, some parents do not take to this very well or kindly.”

Parent Council Meeting
The next Netherlee Primary School and Nursery Class Parent Council Meeting is taking place on Zoom at 7pm on Wednesday 27th April.  All parents and carers are very welcome.  For login details please contact the parent council at netherleeparentcouncil@gmail.com. Items to be discussed will include Head Teacher’s Report with discussion, Road Safety and annual School and Nursery Improvement Plan.” You can view the agenda here.

PTA Communication and Silent Disco
Please click to read the letter from the PTA with a very important update; and here for information regarding a Silent Disco for the children.

Uniform Update
You may remember that, just before the holiday, I had requested some parents to come forwards to meet with myself for an informal discussion in relation to school uniform.  I was delighted that I had a great response to this request and we met together for about an hour in school.   All who attended agreed that we had a really useful, positive and constructive discussion and I am very grateful to the approximately 20 parents who gave up their time to join myself, Mrs Roberts and Mrs Sweeney.

As described in my previous email to you, I’ll be back in touch with all parents in the next couple of weeks to ask for your thoughts on school uniform ahead of the new session in August.  I have already spoken to staff about this as well and again, in the next couple of weeks, the leadership team will be talking to focus groups of pupils from across the school to get their views too.  I do want to stress however that neither myself nor the staff in school feel that the current uniform in Netherlee needs to change very much at all and anything that is suggested or tweaked in any way would be a phased out approach with any existing uniform items being able to be worn until your children had outgrown or finished with them.  I am very much looking forward to receiving your thoughts on this in the coming weeks.

Please also continue to make use of our recycling rails each week where you can pop along to pick up many uniform items that are in very good condition.  Our rails are out every Friday at the Clarkston Road Gate at the following times P1-3 8.50am – 9am (smaller items) and 4-7 3pm – 3.10pm (middle and larger sizes)

We also have our uniform drop off BIG RED TUB at the front door near the main office. This is where you can help us to continue to be an environmentally conscious school by donating uniform items that your child is finished with and that are in good condition.  These can then become part of our uniform recycling rails.  The red tub is outside the front door, just at the top of the stairs and is there each day for your convenience.

P3-P7 Tuck
With restrictions easing, we are once again able to give our Primary 3-7 pupils the opportunity to purchase from the Catering Team’s Tuck Shop at morning interval. For more information please read here.

P4 Football Club
Please click on the link regarding an upcoming Football Club.

P5 Titanic Cabins
Please find information on our P5 children having the opportunity to create a cabin in a shoe box.

P7 Choir
For our final term this session, we would like to invite any Primary 7 pupils, who have an interest in singing, to join our school choir once again. Choir rehearsals will take place every week, on Tuesday mornings, beginning on Tuesday 26th April, and will be led by Mr Watson. We hope that many of our P7 pupils will enjoy the opportunity to sing together again and to perform for our parents and carers at our ‘Celebration of International Music Day’ on Tuesday 21st June. Pupils who are interested in joining our Primary 7 choir for this term and are happy to commit to weekly rehearsals, should let their teacher know by this Tuesday morning please.

P7 Show
We wanted to update you with regards to the school show as there has been a change to the time for the during the day performance on 30th May. The show will now be at 10am – 11:15am instead of in the afternoon. The timing of the evening performance has not changed.  More details on this event are still to follow.

That’s all from me this week, I hope you have a lovely weekend- I think, and hope, that the sun is going to continue to shine for us.

Yvonne Donaldson
Head Teacher