Friday Bundle 18.03.22

Hello everyone,

Pupil Work Samples

Today your child will have brought home some work samples for you to have a look at and discuss together.  We hope you will find this both useful and enjoyable ahead of receiving your child’s End of Session Report and your Parent/ Teacher Video Call, both in May. In order for your child to be able to use their jotters etc in class on Monday, teachers would be very grateful if you could please ensure that everything is popped back into your child’s school bag over the weekend and returned to school on Monday- thank you.

East Renfrewshire Council’s (ERC) Dressing for Excellence Guidance: School Uniform

Schools across ERC follow the Education Department’s guidance on school uniform.  As it has been a number of years since the guidance was introduced, it has now been updated.  The timing of this is helpful as we continue to move on from Covid restrictions and look ahead to next session.

Below are a couple of extracts from the guidance given to Head Teachers:

School dress codes can play an important role in promoting equality, creating a positive ethos and nurturing a sense of belonging. In this respect uniform is another way in which East Renfrewshire establishments work to achieve excellence and equity for all learners. Uniform is a valuable tool in creating a school climate which advances our vision of Everyone Attaining, Everyone Achieving, through Excellent Experiences.

Research undertaken by the Cost of the School Day Project, as well as consultation with children, young people and parents in East Renfrewshire, has found that families value school uniform as the most affordable option for school clothing, and that uniform is recognised by children, young people and parents as an effective way of minimising visible differences in pupils’ financial circumstances. Where uniform policies are planned and implemented carefully and sensitively, such policies can reduce the risk of stigma arising from clothing and help create an environment which promotes equality.

In Netherlee, almost all of our pupils wear the school uniform items already, with an understanding that over the last couple of years there has been, quite rightly, a need to relax this somewhat due to Covid mitigations eg increased ventilation in classrooms.   However, I feel it is the right approach to still consider and revisit our uniform at this time in light of the new guidance given to head teachers. I feel it is important to stress at this point, that I personally don’t feel that we need many, if any, changes to the existing Netherlee uniform, including the wearing of our lovely Netherlee hoody which, due to Covid ventilation measures, has become a popular indoor uniform item, very much loved by us all.  However, I am still very keen to reach out to parents and want to hear from, and involve, you in this.  As a start, I would be very grateful if anyone had an hour to spare next Friday (25th March) at 9.15am to come into school to have an informal chat with me about the latest ERC Guidance.  This would be a very informal discussion with the sole purpose and intention being for me to be able to talk to some parents and to hear your thoughts.  (As an aside I am so pleased we can now even think about having a small, in person, meeting again.)

In order to allow for social distancing, I am ideally looking for about 20 parents (max) if possible, roughly 2 from each stage (P1-6) of the school as well as 2 nursery parents.  I have also asked the Parent Council for a couple of members too.   Once the office staff have received sufficient responses (20) that represent each stage of the school, the form will then close so please do click on the link below as soon as possible if you are keen and able to come along at this time.  The office staff will be in touch thereafter to confirm details with those who should attend. Please complete the form here: https://forms.office.com/r/0q5Cf1cmYX i

Following this informal group discussion, I will of course share key points from this with all parents and will invite any suggestions or feedback from everyone at that time.

I am very keen to move forward with this just now so that the PTA can go ahead with the usual uniform sale next term and in plenty time for the new session in August.

Dates for Your Diary (Term 4)

You will be aware I’m sure that at last, almost all Covid restrictions will be removed after the upcoming two week holiday period.  This is such great news indeed and I am currently compiling a list of key dates and short events and opportunities for parents to be able to come into Netherlee throughout Term 4- this is an emotional but truly heart-warming moment and we can’t wait to open the Netherlee doors to welcome you.   My plan is to send this home to you next Friday, if I can, or most definitely the following Friday before we stop for the holiday.

Spring Holiday Camps
Please see information below from East Renfrewshire Council Culture and Leisure.

We are pleased to announce that our Spring Holiday Camps will run from Monday 4th – Thursday 14th April. We have Holiday Camps for children running on the two weeks over the Easter Holidays:
All Star Sports Camp at Eastwood High School
Mon 4th – Fri 8th April, 9am – 3pm each day
Mon 11th – Thu 14th April, 9am – 3pm each day

All Star Activity Camp at Barrhead High School

Play in a Week at Eastwood Park Theatre
Mon 4th – Fri 8th April, 10am – 3pm each day

Please use the following link to register to book on-line https://www.ercultureandleisure.org/sports-arts/holiday-camps/

P1a Tasting Session (only)
Miss Faulkner has been teaching the children all about their senses and would like to undertake a ‘tasting session’ with the class on Wednesday 23rd March. For this lesson, the children would be tasting the following: white chocolate, fresh lemon, ready salted crisps and chocolate for baking.

We have taken into account all the allergy information we have on file but if there is any change to this then please just let the school office know. If you do not wish your child to receive any of the above, please contact your child’s class teacher (via the school office) by Tuesday 22nd March.

Mrs Yvonne Donaldson