Courses will provide a broad practical experience of art and design and related critical activity. They will also provide opportunities for pupils to be inspired and creatively challenged as they explore how to visually represent and communicate their personal thoughts, ideas and feelings through their work.
Pupils will investigate the factors influencing artists and designers work and practice and will use this understanding when developing and producing their own creative expressive art and design work.
The skills that pupils gain by successfully completing Art & design courses will be valuable for learning, life and work. Pupils will:
- investigate and analyse how artists and designers have used materials, techniques and/or technology in their work
- experiment with and use these when developing their ideas
- develop creativity and problem solving skills when experimenting with and using materials, techniques and/or technology in creative ways
- plan, produce and present creative art and design work
- develop critical thinking and reflective skills as they review and refine their work
The Learner Journey through all levels of the course will be coherent and provide challenge and enjoyment. An integrated approach to learning will be adopted and include a mix of practical learning and knowledge and understanding of art and design practice. The structure of courses, built on hierarchical mandatory units – expressive activity; design activity, will ensure clear pathways and progression from BGE courses onwards through the national qualifications.
Supporting Learners in Art and design
Throughout the course pupils will benefit from individual support from teachers and a range of professional partners.
Support strategies will include:
– discussion of overall individual strengths, areas of improvement, next steps and progress
– negotiation of individual targets and plans of actions to achieve success
– feedback on specific pieces of practical or written work
– opportunities for supported study after school and at weekends
– visits to galleries and other places of interest