Seizing Opportunities – Suzy

I have already spent almost 200 hours volunteering in various groups. I was in the final of YPI when I was in S3 and although our group did not win for Beat Scotland ( which upset me a bit) I was able to speak at the Scottish Learning Festival about the whole process and why Beat Scotland is such an important charity. This was really important for me as at the start of YPI, I did not even like going into a room with too many people. Volunteering on behalf of other people gives you confidence.

I think it is important to help people because it not only benefits you but it also benefits the people you help. For example when I went to Lenzie Old Parish Church’s games club on Thursday afternoons,  that was really beneficial to the older residents as without the club they could have been lonely. You also got to hear all their stories which gave you a glimpse into their lives.

When I organise Dyslexia awareness week I have to develop my confidence in order to present to all the different primary schools and to work with the other pupils who are also presenting. As I am dyslexic it is something that I think is important. If someone like me had visited my class when I was in Primary school I think it might have helped me to realise I was not so different from anyone else. I think it just shows that you think in a different way and that’s okay.

In the future I would like to continue to work on dyslexia awareness and supporting pupils in the Pupil Support department maybe also volunteer with The Tennis Aces as it looks a lot of fun.

Lenzie Old Parish Thursday games club