Duke of Edinburgh

Adventurous, caring, sporty, creative… however you might describe yourself, the DofE is for you. Take a look at the Award sections below to start planning your own personal and unique journey.

There are three levels of programme you can do which, when successfully completed, lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. The main differences between them are the minimum length of time they take to complete, how challenging they are and the minimum age you can start.

To start with, I was just going to the youth club to complete my DofE Volunteering but soon found it became a huge part of my life. I always talked about it in my day to day and looked forward to attending each week. Not only has it enabled me to build my own skills while supporting others, but it is also really fun. The club has become like my little family.

Kyle Kinsella, Bronze and Silver Award holder

DofE programmes are delivered under special licence to ensure they meet specific standards and at Boclair Academy you’ll be supported by your DofE Leader, Dr Ross, who offers advice and encouragement. Everyone involved is focused on helping you have experiences that will shape your future.

Completing both my Bronze and Gold DofE Awards has taught me that the challenges and pain you face along the way are only temporary, the success and achievement lasts a lifetime! My DofE programmes have helped mould the person that I am today. I can’t even imagine what I’d be doing today had I not taken part; I wouldn’t have the friendships I’ve made, I wouldn’t have had so much success in employment and I most definitely wouldn’t be as confident as I am today.

Tanglwst Melville, Bronze and Gold DofE Award holder

For Tanglwst and the hundreds of thousands of other young people who take part each year, the benefits of achieving a DofE Award at any level are endless.

It’s difficult to list them all here… but you should definitely know how much fun you’ll have, how pushing yourself to do new things will help you to grow in confidence and develop useful skills. Why meeting new people will inspire you and lead to lasting friendships, and how a DofE Award can give you the edge when you apply for college, university or a job.

Put simply, the DofE is about helping you along the path to a productive and prosperous future. As many participants say, it’s life-changing.