Friday 24th April. A humorous blog on working from home.

Working from Home

· Today’s update is inspired by Dire Straits, “Money for Nothing” just because I actually had to ‘move my microwave oven’ at one point due to my phone falling behind it!

· The commute in was tough today, massive hold ups at the junction between bed and the kitchen led to a 20min delay in arriving at the office.

· After reading some more ‘Realising the Ambition’ (this is not a one day read) most of the morning was spent in Microsoft Teams meetings where actually seeing my colleagues on screen was really uplifting and it was nice to have a check in with everyone and get a little nosey at a window of their houses (today involved sightings of someone’s newly washed hair, 4 pet dogs 🐕 awww, and 2 children keen to interrupt work chat). In the background my 4yr old daughter Leia was given full control of the TV remote and Paw Patrol was tuned in for her, however she ended up somehow watching The Hulk which meant she then began stomping around the house shouting ‘Hulk Smash’ and randomly hitting objects!!

· Lunchtime involved making red pepper sandwiches for Leia who insists they are really good for her and she would eat them all. This resulted in (good as her word) the red peppers being scoffed however soggy bread was left lying on the floor at her feet which she then decided (in a bid to help Mummy) to hoover up, clogging the Dyson which then had to be stripped down and thoroughly cleaned. Point to Note: Tomorrow she will get a ham sandwich.

· After lunch (after searching for about 20 minutes for my mobile phone we plugged in and charged my iPad to locate said phone and it rung out from behind the microwave – I know I have no clue either) we logged on to SeeSaw this is Leia’s nursery app where her teachers give me brilliant ideas to steal eh I mean inspire me to create my own ideas for home learning 😉 Her task today is to learn the song Spring Chicken and find rhyming items in the home. Point to Note – make a video about rhyming items to post to Leia’s nursery and I might as well share this with nurseries in my work authority as well. 2 birds 1 stone 👍

· The afternoon involved our daily walk and today my student worker (Leia) decided she ‘just wanted to count things’ so she did and I videoed her counting which I then edited into an awesome educational learning clip (ta da).

· I then spent a chunk of time originally waiting for my email to open after several failed attempts began reading over and responding, spent more time trying to get files to upload, began reading over a ppt I’ve been asked to comment on, I completed my running record all while Leia hangs around my neck or lies on my knee and just as I erupt angrily and say “Go and play with your gazillion toys” she says “I love you Mummy I just want a hug” and so laptop is abandoned and hugs commence then Leia goes off and work on laptop resumes. Then Leia appears back in full fireman outfit saying “Mummy you need to be a Fireman too – come on NOW the fire is through here” I then go into full Fireman Sam mode (Welsh accent and all) only to find she’s now playing with Daddy and she tells me “You just be Fireman Sam on your own Mummy” huh back to the laptop then…

· My co-located colleague (Leia’s Daddy) gave up on me finishing “about 4” and is now playing with our daughter and they are both playing air guitar and singing (out of tune) I want it noted that it is not just my voice that carries but I’m not mentioning it.

Blog written by Carol Munro.