Weekly Round-Up

It has been a very busy week in Primary 2/3!

We have been learning about 2D and 3D shapes in maths before we move on to learning about multiplication next week. In literacy we have started our ‘Katie Morag’ book study for this term. We read the book ‘Katie Morag Delivers the Mail’ and created our own tartan to make a new kilt for Katie Morag.

We chose the finalists for the Scots Verse competition and on Thursday afternoon the judging took place. The Primary 2 winner was Matthew and the runner-up was Alfie. The Primary 3 winner was Charlotte and the runner-up was Ava G. Well done everyone! You all worked so hard to learn and perform your poems.

Today Ava D. was chosen by Jessica in Primary 5 to sit at the Ruby Reward table.

Have a great weekend!

Weekly Round-Up

Here’s a round-up of what we have been getting up to in Primary 2/3 this week.

We have been finishing off our work on addition and subtraction in maths. We have been learning lots of different strategies to add and subtract and will be learning about multiplication next.

In literacy we have been learning a ‘Scots Word of the Day’ each day. We have learned the words wheesht, greet, braw, foonert and shoogle this week. We have been working so hard to learn our Scots poems ‘My Wee Doggie’ and ‘Mince and Tatties’. Matthew learned his poem off by heart in just one day, wow! On Monday we will be joining up with Primary 3/4 to choose our finalists for the Scots Verse competition.

We had a special visitor, Miss Love, who came to meet us this week. Miss Love is a student teacher who will be starting a placement in our class next week, we can’t wait!

It has been a very cold week but we still managed to get out for a walk to the park on Wednesday afternoon.

Ellie was the winner of a Ruby Reward ticket today and picked Harley to sit with her at the Ruby Reward table. Well done Ellie!

We finished off the week with a class party for achieving 2000 points on Class Dojo. We had music, balloons, sweets and lots of fun!

Scots Poems

As part of our Scotland topic this term all classes are learning a Scots poem. Paper copies of the poems have been given to all pupils to learn at home and are also shown below.

The Primary 2 poem is My Wee Doggie by J.K. Annand.

My Wee Doggie

My wee doggie

does lots of tricks,

Fetches the paper,

Brings back sticks.

Chases aw the craws,

That steal the hen’s feed,

Lowps through a gird,

kids he’s deid.

Sits on his hunkers,

Gies a paw,

Then he gets a bane to gnaw.

The Primary 3 poem is Mince and Tatties by J.K. Annand.

Mince & Tatties

I dinna like hail tatties

Pit on my plate o mince

For when I tak my denner

I eat them baith at yince.

Sae mash and mix the tatties

Wi mince into the mashin,

And sic a tasty denner

Will aye be voted ‘Smashin!’

Pupils will be chosen to perform their poem in front of judges and the winners from each stage will then perform at our Scots Verse Celebration on the 31st January.

First week of term 3

Happy New Year from Primary 2/3!

We have had a great first week back at school! We have started to learn about ‘Scotland’ which is our new topic this month. We have been learning to use different strategies to add and subtract in maths and have been learning the ‘ea’ and ‘ie’ sounds in literacy. Have a look at some of the great work we have been doing.