Children and Young People’s Mental Health Occupational Therapist

Whole class mental health and wellbeing discussions with an occupational therapist

I am a Children and Young People’s Occupational Therapist who is currently working in a role which is looking at new approaches to supporting children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing across East Ayrshire.  This involves me working with children and young people in lots of different setting including nurseries, primary schools and secondary schools.

I am able to offer a whole class discussion to talk in general about mental health and wellbeing with children and young people.  This is targeted at primary aged children and is delivered over 3 weekly sessions in class.  I am also able to offer small group work with children and young people who may benefit from additional support in relation to their mental health and wellbeing.

Topics for discussion:
  • Mental Health – what is it?
  • Wellbeing – what does this mean?
  • Feelings – what are they and how do we express them?
  • Coping techniques – what works for you when you are feeling upset/overwhelmed
What are the purposes of this approach?
  • To support children and young people to think about their own health and wellbeing in relation to managing their emotions and talking about their feelings.
  • To provide some activity ideas and resources for children and young people to refer to if they are feeling upset or worried.
  • To support and implement current Scottish Government frameworks and policy drivers in relation to children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing.
Contact details:

Jane Ritchie, Occupational Therapist, 07583 162157

Email address: Jane.Ritchie@aapct.scot.nhs.uk