Hurlford Primary School and Early Childhood Centre

An East Ayrshire Council School

Skills for Learning, Life and Work – P7 interview Sir Stephen Hillier

One of our Improvement priorities this session, has been to focus on Skills for Learning, Life and Work, providing opportunities to enhance the curriculum, highlighting links between the curriculum and the ‘world of work’.
Over the session, our pupils have enjoyed a wide range of STEM activities.
We have also developed a partnership with Primary Engineer who arranged for Sir Stephen Hillier, chair of Civil Aviation Authority to be interviewed by our Primary 7
pupils.
We had hoped that Sir Stephen would be able to visit our school, unfortunately due to Covid, this event took place via Teams.
Our P7 pupils prepared questions and interviewed Sir Stephen.  A film of the event was produced for publication on the CAA and Primary Engineer website.
Please see the following links for your information:
Their comments included:

“I found it interesting that Sir Stephen was just a little boy from Kilmarnock and managed to achieve so much including all of his goals and dreams. I have always wanted to be the aircraft engineer. He was speaking about not giving up and to keep trying. It really inspired me to keep trying to achieve my dreams.”“It made me think that anything is possible!”“I was impressed that he was an ordinary boy and now he has been knighted by the Queen.”“When he spoke about how determined he was to become a part of the RAF, it made me want to be a part of the cabin crew.” “I found it interesting when he talked about the awards he got. It made me think that I’ll be able to achieve my goals when I’m older. I’d like to be an astronaut because I’ve always been interested in science and space. It made me think I should stay in school and study hard and focus on what I want to do in my life.”  

“I found it interesting how he got so far in life and he was born and raised here. It made me realise that you can do anything, if you work hard.”

We received a lovely letter of thanks from Sir Stephen.
We continue to work in partnership with Primary Engineer taking part in the ‘If I were an engineer competition’ and taking part in pilot staff training on ‘Engineering your Classroom’, in partnership with Primary Engineer/Education Scotland.