Hurlford Primary School and Early Childhood Centre

An East Ayrshire Council School

Tuesday 3rd May P2/1

Good morning, I hope you all enjoyed a lovely long relaxing weekend. I can’t quite believe that we are now in May and our final term.

Last week we were still busy looking at money in particular thinking about what coins and notes we use, how we get money, what we use money for – our needs and wants!! This week we will be looking at how to budget  and save. As well as all this, if you could possibly look at coins and notes with your children and play little games. Exchanging coins for example how many 2p coins make 10p coin.

Starfish could look at exchanging to 50p and change from 50p

Octopus could exchange to 20p and change from 20p

We will be looking at giving change in class and if you have a collection of 1p coins at home this would be really useful to help reinforce giving change and checking change. It’s always good to count on to give change using 1p coins, like shopkeepers would have done in the past.

I have 20p and buy a comic at 15p so how much change would I receive? I would then count on from 15 and place 1p in your child’s hand till they have 5 pennies change. Thanks for your assistance with this.

In addition, I have also put 2 games on Education City to support some maths going on in class. They are:

Hang Tenths and Bumper Cars.

Language this week:

common word and phonemes covered are :

Nemo –  very, took, fast, there     diagraph aw

Dory –  law, paw, draw, straw       diagraph aw

Please also try the Education City games

Canopy Clues and Make a Wish

For topic this term we are looking at planting seeds and looking after them and where some food comes from and farming.

Thanks, as always for your continued support and I look forward to speaking to you over the course of the next 2 weeks.

Mrs Carey