Hurlford Primary School and Early Childhood Centre

An East Ayrshire Council School

Week beginning 19th October

Hello primary 2b,

Hope you all had a lovely holiday and got up to lots of nice things. We have been working so hard already since starting the new term. We will be finishing our weather topic this week, looking at the weather in Spain and comparing it to Scotland. I think we will see some big differences in the types of weather. Thank you to everyone who managed to make a rain gauge to measure the rain fall (an optional task from the last post) we talked about this in class and I was very impressed.  We have also been working on a very tricky sound this week – ng. Ask us what to tell/show you the sound and action.

Please watch this video of the jolly phonics sounds. Skip to 8:35 to practice our joined phonemes we have been working on sh, ch, th and ng.

red/green groups phoneme words and common words

string  strong  bring  thing  bang

Old  do  going

blue groups phoneme words and common words

song  bang  ping  sing  ring

Am  me  my

Please practice these words and encourage other words that have the “ng” sound. A fantastic one said in class today was “annoying.”

On the last day before the holidays we were doing all sorts of experiments about weather. We tested material to check if they waterproof, we made a rain cloud in a jar to help understand why it rains (ask us why) and we looked at how tornadoes are formed and made them in a bottle. We even tried to make lightning however, the class was too bright to see the lightning as it needs to be very very dark. We tried our best but could not get it dark enough so I promised the class I would put it on here for you to try at home if you want to.

You will need Styrofoam, an aluminium tin, a pencil with a rubber on the end, a pin, a fork and something woollen.

1. Pierce the pin through the tin and onto the rubber of the pencil so that the pencil is sticking up.

2. Use the wool to rub the styrofoam for 1 minute, longer if it doesn’t work, might take a few tries.

3. Using the pencil place the tin on top of the styrofoam.

4. Slowly use your finger or the fork to touch the tin and hopefully you will see some lightning.

We unfortunately couldn’t see it but Miss Baillie did get 2 electric shocks and we heard some crackling when putting the fork on the tin. Hopefully you are able to see it. Good luck. And if you give it a try, make sure you let the class know all about it.

Have a fabulous week,

Miss Baillie