TWO WEEK UPDATE – P5E 6/3/20

We are sorry we did not upload a blog post last week , here is what we have been up to…

Writing – some of the class entered their piece of writing into the BBC 500 word competition. Miss Mcewan was really proud of so many of us being confident individuals and entering our story (and thinks we have a big chance of winning).

-We completed our writing  in a different format tis week through ‘story boards’. To start our thinking we completed an ‘I see, I think, I wonder’ activity to get our brains thinking about pictures. We then all picked a picture to use as a stimulus for our story, and then created our writing with beautiful illustrations to match. Take a look at how fantastic these looked…

Maths – we have been working on fractions and building up our understanding of these. This week we have been focusing on finding a fraction of an amount, we noticed the link this has with division and how we can use strategies to find fractions of amounts.

We also linked maths with PE this week in a ‘building fitness challenge’. In PE we completed a number of different excersised and recorded how many reps we could do in a minute with a partner. In class we used calculators to add up the total number of reps in our pairs and converted this amount to metres. We then worked out what building we would be able to climb according to our reps completed. We enjoyed using the calculators and learning how to use them correctly…

IDL – we have been learning about the sensory organs and their functions in our topic ‘Human Body Systems’. We are all very enthusiastic and have lots of questions to ask and stories to share, we love learning all the weird and wonderful facts about our bodies.

Makaton – We have been learning lots of new Makaton, Miss Mcewan is so impressed with how much we all remember. We learned the alphabet and practiced spelling our names. As a class we sang a song and signed using Makaton at the same time, we are experts…

World Book Day – On Thursday it was world book day, we were very lucky to have a guest reader in to visit us. We also got a delivery on world book day, it was a parcel with a new book inside for Miss Mcewan to read to us. We all love a picture book and all the questions and discussion that come from these.

Quotes of the week:

This week we did fractions and it was very hard but I tried and tried again’

I loved when we did sensory organ posters such as the mouth and the ears’

PE was amazing, I liked it because we got to do lots of activities. We practiced Makaton and we learned lots of new words’

This week we did sensory organs in topic it was very interesting finding out how they work’