Forever Autumn

There are a couple of reasons for this title. At the start of session my friend sent a couple of boxes of stuff I’d left at the previous school. That school is moving to a new building and she’d found loads of stuff such as bandas (loved the smell of a freshly printed banda!) and books etc. that were my own copies. There in the bottom was the booklet form War of The Worlds. Off I went to my CD collection and I have been listening to the sound track of War of The Worlds and loving the wonderful sound of Richard Burton’s narration as ever – I could listen to that man recite the phone book. As well as loving this personally, it reminds me of a great theme I did with a P6 or P7 class way back when. I had been given the topic The Victorians which can be very interesting but didn’t really inspire me, a young teacher in her twenties at the time. However, I had bought a copy of the concept album in 1978, complete with the booklet of illustrations and lyrics so off I went. Being out in “the huts” certainly helped because the music played a huge part in our learning but I remember all the interest we generated in that room about the Victorian era through using this. Linking the learning and creating interest and enjoyment are still the foundations of successful learning. I am not one for topic grids where certain topics were “done” by certain year groups. I have always looked at the skills and knowledge and, as a young teacher, argued that if I was interested, and more importantly the weans were interested, then the skills and knowledge would be easier to attain. I remember one Heedie shaking her head at me sagely and saying on my own head be it when the parents complained – luckily they didn’t and I was smitten by thematic learning.
Thinking outside the box as they say, is what makes effective teachers. Yes, we need to inspire the academic scholars to join our teaching ranks but, I have always been stunned by people who think that they main attribute to being an effective teacher is being considered as clever. I am not belittling the academic requirements of our profession; far from it. We are a graduate profession and rightly so. Teachers hold such power over the course of a young person’s life choices. A teacher can inspire a young person to reach goals. Social, emotional and economic factors loom large, but a teacher can give the support necessary for ambitions and dreams to be fulfilled – or not. A negative experience of education can have long-lasting, detrimental effects on young people that shape their future decisions in so many ways. I believe that today, in Scottish schools today, we are open and transparent enough to ensure that teaching that does not match the needs of our young people is tackled and rectified. I am not saying that we have it sorted but we are trying. A main focus this year for us as a staff, is based in continuity and progression of skills, and knowledge, for all young people in their core learning. It is tricky stuff and I know that a few heeds have been nippin’ with it all. Having our tracking system established is a huge help in focussing in on the main learning intentions. The stuff you’ll live and die by the awfully clever DHT is heard to shout on numerous occasions. Important stuff to consider for everyone as the nights draw in – and that is another point; all this has to be sustainable within a realistic timeframe. Being at school from very early to very late isn’t the answer, it isn’t healthy, and above all I am frightened of the dark so again, as autumn arrives we should adjust our time accordingly.
Now, all this links to autumn where this blog started. I love autumn, it is my favourite season. I love the crisp sunny days like yesterday and I even like the gale force wind and rain of today (because I am inside). It is also when we are settled back into routines. School is settled, plans are being put into action and almost everyone has stopped crying when they come in! I have started meeting with staff to talk over their long-term thematic plans, opportunities for linked learning and to hear their thoughts of their new classes. Teachers have been assessing in a variety of ways and are making the learning pathways for their young people. The teachers wrote their first evaluation blogs last week so I have been able to get a flavour of what individuals are thinking about and considering. Examples of learning are going home for parents and families to share and I am beginning to feel that we are going about our business as usual.
I was out of school for a couple of days recently. This is always a bit of a dilemma for a Heedie because having a day out of school has to be very worthwhile. School doesn’t stop because I am not there and neither do the things I need to do just not appear on my desk because I am not in the building. I never worry that things will go awry because the awfully clever DHT and the staff are more than capable of dealing with all, and everything and anything (I came back once to a full school evacuation- going according to plan I may add). My time is precious so being out has to be useful and pertinent to the improvement of my school, and me. Sometimes the best information is gleaned over coffee when chatting with colleagues and that is when my belief in our education system gets a shot in the arm. We are all there to make a difference for children and young people. We are all there to be the best that we can, and support and challenge others to be likewise. We all have similar stories which make us laugh and shake our heads in equal measure and we often pick up wee tried and tested tips on working through a challenge. I like autumn time – now roll on Christmas!