P6-7 Back to School

Hello everyone! We have had a fantastic first week back in Primary 6-7. The children are all keen to get stuck into their learning and are happy to be in the classroom and back to some sort of routine and a sense of normality (me too!).

Literacy –
P6-7 have watched the 3rd episode of David Attenborough’s ‘A Perfect Planet’ which was all about the weather across the globe and how animals have come to rely on the weather patterns. They are learning to write a documentary review and are using their own notes they took while watching the programme to do this! We discovered keeping up with writing notes and watching something for information can be a bit tricky – but we managed!
We are still working our way through our class novel, ‘Wonder’ and now we are back together, we are going back through the pages we have read to deepen our understanding of the novel and its themes.

Numeracy –
The children have been working on Measure this week. We are converting between different units of measure and using these to estimate and measure different objects. We will be moving on to measuring mass and capacity in the coming weeks of this term.

Other curricular areas –
PE – We have started a block of hockey lessons where so far; the children have been learning to hold a hockey stick properly (to keep each other safe!) demonstrate a push pass and stopping the ball with the stick. We will be learning to move with the ball, get past other players, tackle, shoot and then playing small games of hockey.

Health and Wellbeing – This week, we are learning about what the word Ethos means to us and what kind of Ethos we want for our classroom. The children were telling me what they would like to hear, feel and see within our classroom.

If you haven’t done so already, please remember to bring back to school your novel and your jotters.

As always, if you need anything from me please do not hesitate to email me on jodi.riley@aberdeenshire.gov.uk or you can still contact me via Google Classroom.