P6-7 Remote Learning Update

I hope you are all safe and well as we begin remote learning and teaching again. I trust the packs provided with learning materials have been beneficial and that they make home learning a little easier for your family.

Literacy – P6-7 have started a new whole class novel ‘Wonder’ by R J Palacio. The children are enjoying the theme of ‘kindness’ running through and answering questions based on the book. It is lovely that they all have something in common to chat about while they can’t be together.

The children wrote Scots Poem’s with a COVID theme – and I have to say I was so impressed with them! We are continuing to practice our spelling using different strategies and doing some French with Mrs Casasola.

Numeracy – Primary 6-7 are working on concepts with fractions. They have been changing improper fractions to mixed numbers, adding and subtracting fractions and multiplying and dividing them!

Next, we are moving on to decimals and then a little breather with some revision on time. In the children’s home packs there are help sheets and some concrete materials to aid with this. There are also links to YouTube videos and BBC Bitesize to help support the children.

Other curricular areas: There is a grid on Google Classroom that is refreshed every two weeks with a multitude of activities for the children to choose from covering Health and Wellbeing, Drama, Art and Science.  Our topic this term is Light and Sound, with the children doing some research around this at home, as well as the opportunity to do an experiment.

I will use the timetabled slots for the next fortnight to meet with the children via Video Conferencing wherever possible. This is to help and support the children with specific questions regarding their work or just to have a chat. The timetable is available on Google Classroom and in the next packs.

As always, if I can do anything more to help or you need anything from me, please do not hesitate to email me on jodi.riley@aberdeenshire.gov.uk or contact me via Google Classroom. Stay safe, Miss Riley.