Blog 6 02.06.20

Hello and welcome to the 6th instalment of my blog.
Continuing from last week’s blog, I will be bringing you some fantastic ideas and activities to keep boredom at bay.
Without further ado, here is part two 😊:

Race at your pace
I have just signed my family up for another Race at your Pace challenge and we have pledged to walk, cycle or run (to be honest, I am no runner so walking and cycling it is 😊) 50 miles throughout the month of June. There is a fee, although you do receive a medal and certificate once you submit your evidence at the end of the month.
I took part in a Race at Your Pace last July with my kids. It was a great way to help us to focus on getting out of the house and get some exercise.
To sign up, visit www.raceatyourpace.co.uk , the fees are £10 per adult for a medal only (you can sign up to get a medal and t shirt although this costs a little more) and £7 for under 16’s for a medal only.
I have already clocked up 7 miles 😊.

Learn to read a map
Are you making plans for a trip somewhere nice once we are able to travel?
Why not go old school, get a map out and plan your route of travel, find places of interest that you can visit along the way. If you are planning going to a holiday resort, use a map to see where you could visit on a day trip.

Virtual Film night with friends
Netflix Party allows you to watch a movie with friends online. Netflix sync’s video playback and adds group chat to your fav Netflix show. You will need to have a Netflix account so please speak to the adult in your household for permission first.
Visit www.netflixparty.com for more information.
*only available on Chrome browser on desktop or laptop computers.

Play Dungeons and Dragons for Free!
The makers of Dungeons and Dragons are providing weekly instalments of free downloadable resources to help you start your quest.
Visit dnd.wizards.com for more information and for the latest downloads. Please note that the downloads are free for a limited time so grab them while you can.

Play Come Dine with Me
I love watching this show, it looks like lots of fun. So why not try it out? Everyone in your household hosts a night and everyone gives a score and the winner gets…..bragging rights.
Younger hosts should get some assistance from the elders in the house.

Learn a new word
Everyday we learn something new, sometimes without even realising it. Why not pick up the dictionary and find a word you hadn’t heard of or used before.

Do a virtual dive or space trip
Did you watch the rocket launch last week? If you missed it or want to see more, why not watch a 3D space exploration or underwater dive on YouTube for a bit of escapism.

Visit virtual Museums and Galleries
www.standard.co.uk have a fantastic article about how Art Galleries and Museums from around the world are providing a new way of visiting and viewing art works and exhibitions during lockdown. The article provides links to Art Galleries in London, New York, Paris and Amsterdam. Get the best view in the house from the comfort of your sofa.

Reading Challenge
Check out the library section of the website for information on how to join the reading challenge.
The team are currently climbing Mount Everest.

Book of the Week – The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien
The Hobbit is the unforgettable story of Bilbo, a peace-loving hobbit, who embarks on a strange and magical adventure. A timeless classic.
.
Book Reviews
Don’t forget, you can leave a review on any of the books you have read from the School Library Catalogue on Eclipse, just log onto your account or search and click on the book title and leave a review.

Well that’s it from me, let’s see what this new week beings.
Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant