Blog 3 05.05.20

Hello! Well that was a quick week, we’re on week 3 of the blog already.

I really hope that you enjoyed last weeks blog, I wonder how many of us took part in the Hogwarts Escape room. If you did, I hope it kept you entertained for a while.
This week, I have been exploring different ways to access books and reading activities for you to take part in.

Audible books
At the end of the year, I started reading a few different book series and will be finishing the books I currently have at home very soon…eek!

So where do I go from here? I have a very old kindle which I will get back up and running soon, but in the meantime, I thought I would use the online service the local library is currently offering.

If you are a library card holder with Angus Alive you can register for an RB Digital account which has a huge catalogue of e-books, Audiobooks, Magazines and Comics:
www.angus.rbdigitalglobal.com

I now have my first audiobook ready to listen to. I have to say, I’m not sure how I will get on as I really do love holding a book and turning the pages and also imagining what the characters sound like 😊 but I am willing to give it my all.
If you don’t have an Angus Alive library account, you can create one online at www.angus.spydus.co.uk .

Angus Alive currently have a reading challenge for adults or children called ‘All 4 Fun Lockdown Reading Challenge’. This is a 4 week challenge where your aim is to read 4 e- resources in 4 weeks (4th till 29th May).
Again, if you are not a library member with Angus Alive, you can join online, register with RB Digital and join the activity using this link:
https://www.angusalive.scot/at-home/all-4-fun-reading-challenge/

There are also free resources available through the following links:

There are a huge amount of Free Audio books available on audible using the link below:
https://stories.audible.com/start-listen

If you are a fan of David Walliams and want to listen to David and guests read his book Fing, then click right here:
www.worldofdavidwalliams.com and click on the Elevenses section.

He is currently on chapters 27 – 29 although if you have missed previous chapters then these will be available on the elevenses section of his website from Saturday.

Bookzilla is an app created by The Scottish Book Trust and helps you to find the best books for you to read. Once registered, you can let the app know the style of books you enjoy reading, this then allow the app to tailor the recommendations to suit you.

There are also challenges you can take such as the book randomiser and the reading dare.

For more information on how to download the app click below:
https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/reading-and-stories/bookzilla  
Or if you fancy giving writing a go, visit www.authorfy.com/register and have unlimited access to fabulous resources.

Reading Challenge
Check out the library section of the website for information on how to join the reading challenge. We are in New Zealand at the moment, cruising along the high way to Queensland to enjoy a spot of skiing.

Book of the Week – Sunny (Book 3) by Jason Reynolds
Sunny is the coolest dude on the Defenders team! But his life hasn’t always been sunny. His mum died giving birth to him and he thinks he’s to blame. The only thing Sunny can do right is win first place running the mile, just like his mum. But Sunny doesn’t like running. So he stops. Right in the middle of a race.

Book Reviews
Don’t forget, you can leave a review on any of the books you have read from the School Library Catalogue on Eclipse, just log onto your account or search and click on the book title and leave a review.

Well that’s pretty much it from me, let’s see what this new week beings.
Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant