Blog 2 28.04.20

Hello once again and welcome to the second instalment of my blog.

I hope you are all doing well, staying safe and most importantly staying at home.
Well that was a super-fast week. We’ve have been so lucky with the weather, so it has been great to get out in the garden and go for walks or cycles.
This week on the blog I have wizarding delights, reading activities, recipes, author interviews amongst others. So sit back and enjoy.

Harry Potter Escape Rooms
Yes you read the correctly! A Librarian from Peter’s Township Public Library, Pennsylvania has created a digital Hogwarts Escape Room.
Solve the puzzles to escape. Great fun and helps to curb the boredom.
The following link takes you to the library website and you can enter the escape room by clicking on the link in the red lettering (on the first sentence of the article).

Hogwarts Digital Escape Room

Authors Interviews
Do you want to find out a little more about one of your favourite author’s?
Scottish Book Trust have all their previous Authors live on demand events free to download and watch. From Anthony Horowitz to David Walliams, Francesca Simon to Malorie Blackman. The full A to Z of authors can be found using the following link:
https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/authors-live-on-demand

Scrubs update
Continuing from last week, my sewing machine has been going like the clappers. I have now finished 9 tunics and I have 2 more tunics and 4 pairs of trousers to sew up. A member of staff from a local hospital contacted me to say that some of our items had been delivered and the staff were delighted with them which is fantastic to hear.
If you would like to get involved why not check out the Webster’s High Parent Council Facebook page or search on Facebook for WHS PC scrubs info page. Even if you can’t sew, you could still help by donating material such as old duvet covers or old pillowcases to Kirrie Connections, bank street, Kirriemuir, Monday – Friday 10am till 5pm.

Here’s one of the tunics I have made

Keep fit
Well, I haven’t managed to get fit with Joe Wicks this week although I have been enjoying long walks with my family at night. I also completed a 4.5 mile walk on Sunday in support of BBS UK (Bardet Biedl Syndrome) and our friends daughter. The challenge was to walk, run or cycle 2.6 miles or 26 miles (Sunday was supposed to be the day of the London Marathon) and then make a donation to the charity BBS UK.

Don’t forget to give your Brain a workout too
So how about a little reading challenge? Do you ever finish reading a book, put it down and then move straight onto the next one? Why not give that book a little bit more of your time. Here is a table of activities you could use once you read a book:

Scottish Book Trust
Find other reading activities on The Scottish Book Trust website (https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/home-activities)

Reading Challenge
Check out the library section of the website for information on how to join the reading challenge. We are currently reading our way to New Zealand.

Book of the Week – Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott
In this moving story that’s perfect for fans of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars, two teens fall in love with just one minor complication-they can’t get within a few feet of each other without risking their lives.

Book Reviews
Don’t forget, you can leave a review on any of the books you have read from the School Library Catalogue on Eclipse, just click into your account or search and click on the book title and leave a review.

Bake off with friends
For the last 4 weeks I have been enjoying a bake off with friends via video call. It has been a great way to keep us in touch with each other and to have a good old catch up. One of us chooses a recipe, they tell the rest of us the ingredients and then we all bake along with them. While its in the oven, we have a catch up.
Last week, we made scones and I have to say they were the best scones, so I thought I would share the recipe (please ask an adult to help if you need, especially with using the oven):
Preparation time
less than 15 mins
Cooking time
10 to 15 mins
Serves
Makes approx 8 – 10 scones
Dietary
Vegetarian.
Ingredients
• 450g (1 lb) self-raising flour
• 2 rounded teaspoons baking powder
• 75g (3 oz) butter, at room temperature
• 50g (2 oz) caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• about 225 ml (8 fl oz) milk
Method
1. Lightly grease two baking trays. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
2. Measure the flour and baking powder into a processor. Add the butter and process until a crumble, then add the sugar. Or make by hand by rubbing the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
3. Beat the eggs together until blended and make up to a generous 300ml (1/2 pint) with the milk, then put about 2 tablespoons of the egg/milk aside in a cup for glazing the scones later. Gradually add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients until you have a soft dough. It is far better that the scone mixture is on the wet side, sticking to your fingers, as the scones will rise better.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten it out with your hand, or use a rolling pin, to a thickness of 1-2 cm (1/2 – ¾ inch). Use a 5 cm (2 inch) fluted cutter to stamp out the dough by pushing the cutter straight down into the dough (as opposed to twisting the cutter) then lift it straight out. This ensures that the scones will rise evenly and keep their shape. Gently push the remaining dough together, knead very lightly then re-roll and cut more scones out as before.
5. Arrange the scones on the prepared baking trays and brush the tops with the reserved beaten egg/milk mixture to glaze. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the scones are well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack, covered with a clean tea towel to keep them moist. Serve as fresh as possible, cut in half and spread generously with strawberry jam and top with a good spoonful of thick cream.

Well that’s pretty much it from me, let’s see what this new week beings.
Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant