Blog 7 18.06.20

Hello and welcome to the 7th  and final instalment of my blog.

Continuing from the previous blog’s, I will be bringing you some fantastic ideas and activities to keep boredom at bay though out the summer holidays.

Tour the Anne Frank House

Are you currently learning about World War 2?  Would you like to learn more about Anne Frank?  You can take a virtual tour of the secret annex which Anne and her family hid in for more than 2 years during World War 2 and where she wrote her diary.  There are also online digital lessons to complete with an interactive quiz questions. https://annefrank.org/en/anne-frank/secret-annex/

Explore the World

Geoguessr is a web based geographic discovery game that uses google maps.  The game starts with you being dropped somewhere in the world.  Your challenge is to figure out where in the world you are.

Choose a continent and whether you would like a time limit or not.

You can play 1 free game of 5 rounds per day.

When you have been dropped in your location look for clues like road names, flags, road signs etc then when you have figured it out, plot your guess on the guess map.

Hint – you can move around and zoom into the guess map to plot your guess.  Also when you guess on your second or third location, there will be an advert to sign up although if you wait 10 seconds, you will be taken back to your guess.

https://www.geoguessr.com/maps/world/play

Get cooking

For those of you about to embark on student life in the Student halls, how are your cooking skills?  Now could be the perfect time to start practising to make cheap, easy and nutritious meals.  Even if it is a pasta bake, meatloaf or cottage pie why not try it out, I am sure your family will be delighted to try your culinary delights.

Here is a fab recipe my sister gave me for meatloaf.  It really is yummy and something which could last a couple of dinner times or you could slice up and freeze:

Meatloaf with pasta and tomato sauce

Ingredients:

For the meatloaf (makes a 1lb loaf tin):

450 g beef mince                4 tbsps Worcestershire sauce

100 g quality bacon           1 tbsp tomato puree

1 medium onion                 1 tsp mustard powder

1 clove of garlic                   125 g breadcrumbs

1 egg (optional, for binding)        1 teaspoon salt

Butter

For the tomato sauce:

1 tin of chopped tomatoes          small cup of water

1 medium onion                             oregano (dried or dried mixed herbs)

1 clove of garlic                               Olive oil

Balsamic vinegar                             sugar

To serve, 150 g pasta, parmesan cheese, basil.

Method

1. Heat oven to 200 ˚C (gas 6);
  2. 2. Mix the bacon, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, mustard powder and salt in a food processor;
  3. Take the processed ingredients and mix together with the mince and breadcrumbs.
  4. Take the 1lb loaf tin and line with tin foil and then grease with butter. Put the mixture in to the loaf tin and place in the oven (middle shelf) for approximately 1 hour 15 mins.  Keep checking the mixture as cooking time may vary depending on the type of oven;
  5. To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil in a pan and sweat the onions until translucent;
  6. Add the garlic and the water around 125 ml and reduce down. Add the tomatoes and mixed herbs and leave on a lower heat until the whole mixture has reduced by half and is thicker and darker in colour.  This might take 15-20 mins;
  7. Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly before tasting and seasoning with salt pepper, sugar and balsamic vinegar. You should do this to your own taste but usually 2 tablespoons of vinegar is required with one teaspoon of sugar.  Return to the heat before serving;
  8. Boil some pasta and when cooked and drained mix some of the tomato sauce in. serve in a bowl with a slice of meatloaf on top, more tomato sauce, parmesan and basil.  Enjoy.

Hint:  I would leave the meatloaf to rest for 15 mins or so once it comes out of the oven, this will make it easier to slice up.

The Scottish Book Trust

The Scottish Book Trust have a few writing competitions on at the moment,  ‘A’ the seas’ competition closes on Wednesday of next week 24th June, which still gives you a good amount of time.  Write a poem, story, play or song (in the scots language) in under 200 words, a one page comic or a video of you telling a story in 3 minutes or less on the them.  The theme of this year’s competition is Til a’ the seas gang dry.  For more information click on the following links:

http://www.scottishbooktrust.com/writing-and-authors/scots-story-competition-2020

Or if you fancy entering the creative writing competition where you write a story which features fog (max 50 words), follow this link:

https://scottishbooktrust.com/fifty-words-competitions/write-a-story-featuring-fog

Earn yourself a Blue Peter Badge

When I was younger, I used to watch Blue Peter and be in awe or some of the drawings and crafts that people sent in.  Little did I know that you could earn a Blue Peter Badge for doing it!  Are you aged 15 or under?  If you want to earn a Blue Peter Badge (there are 8 which you can apply for) then follow this link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/findoutmore/blue-peter-badge-help-question-and-answer?collection=blue-peter-badges

Badge owners can also gain free entry into over 200 Blue Peter attractions around the country such as theme parts, zoo’s and castles.

Vegetable Patch Update

In blog 1 I told you all about how I was starting a vegetable patch in my garden, well I thought I would share an update for you all.  The first picture below is of my vegetable patch on 15th May and the second picture is from this morning.  This plot has leeks, onions, cauliflower, parsnips, potatoes (the ones from my veg drawer), turnips, Brussel sprouts (yes, I love brussels) and peas.

Reading Challenge

Check out the library section of the website for information on how to join the reading challenge.

The team are currently on their way to Mandalay.

Book of the Week – Furious Thing by Jenny Downham

Bestselling author Jenny Downham (BEFORE I DIE) has created a timely masterpiece that captures the true feelings of a teenage girl in a difficult, troubling and all-too-common situation.

Book Reviews

Don’t forget, you can leave a review on any of the books you have read from the School Library Catalogue on Eclipse,  just log onto your account or search and click on the book title and leave a review.

Well that’s it from me, I really hope that you enjoyed the last 7 blogs and that you found some activities that are of interest to you.

I hope that you have an amazing Summer Holiday and look forward to seeing you all next term.

Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones

Library Assistant

Blog 6 02.06.20

Hello and welcome to the 6th instalment of my blog.
Continuing from last week’s blog, I will be bringing you some fantastic ideas and activities to keep boredom at bay.
Without further ado, here is part two 😊:

Race at your pace
I have just signed my family up for another Race at your Pace challenge and we have pledged to walk, cycle or run (to be honest, I am no runner so walking and cycling it is 😊) 50 miles throughout the month of June. There is a fee, although you do receive a medal and certificate once you submit your evidence at the end of the month.
I took part in a Race at Your Pace last July with my kids. It was a great way to help us to focus on getting out of the house and get some exercise.
To sign up, visit www.raceatyourpace.co.uk , the fees are £10 per adult for a medal only (you can sign up to get a medal and t shirt although this costs a little more) and £7 for under 16’s for a medal only.
I have already clocked up 7 miles 😊.

Learn to read a map
Are you making plans for a trip somewhere nice once we are able to travel?
Why not go old school, get a map out and plan your route of travel, find places of interest that you can visit along the way. If you are planning going to a holiday resort, use a map to see where you could visit on a day trip.

Virtual Film night with friends
Netflix Party allows you to watch a movie with friends online. Netflix sync’s video playback and adds group chat to your fav Netflix show. You will need to have a Netflix account so please speak to the adult in your household for permission first.
Visit www.netflixparty.com for more information.
*only available on Chrome browser on desktop or laptop computers.

Play Dungeons and Dragons for Free!
The makers of Dungeons and Dragons are providing weekly instalments of free downloadable resources to help you start your quest.
Visit dnd.wizards.com for more information and for the latest downloads. Please note that the downloads are free for a limited time so grab them while you can.

Play Come Dine with Me
I love watching this show, it looks like lots of fun. So why not try it out? Everyone in your household hosts a night and everyone gives a score and the winner gets…..bragging rights.
Younger hosts should get some assistance from the elders in the house.

Learn a new word
Everyday we learn something new, sometimes without even realising it. Why not pick up the dictionary and find a word you hadn’t heard of or used before.

Do a virtual dive or space trip
Did you watch the rocket launch last week? If you missed it or want to see more, why not watch a 3D space exploration or underwater dive on YouTube for a bit of escapism.

Visit virtual Museums and Galleries
www.standard.co.uk have a fantastic article about how Art Galleries and Museums from around the world are providing a new way of visiting and viewing art works and exhibitions during lockdown. The article provides links to Art Galleries in London, New York, Paris and Amsterdam. Get the best view in the house from the comfort of your sofa.

Reading Challenge
The team are currently climbing Mount Everest.

Book of the Week – The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien
The Hobbit is the unforgettable story of Bilbo, a peace-loving hobbit, who embarks on a strange and magical adventure. A timeless classic.
.
Book Reviews
Don’t forget, you can leave a review on any of the books you have read from the School Library Catalogue on Eclipse, just log onto your account or search and click on the book title and leave a review.

Well that’s it from me, let’s see what this new week beings.
Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant

Blog 5 26.05.20

Hello and welcome to the 5th instalment of my blog.

Have you considered turning your hand to a new skill or learning about a specific topic during lockdown? During evenings and weekends why not take advantage of the vast number of free courses and activities available on the big wide web.
I have picked a variety of activities and will list these within this week’s blog and next weeks blog.
In other news, I will be working on making the blog accessible through GLOW.
So without further ado, here are some amazing activities to try out:

Are you a budding photographer?
Local Kirriemuir Business, Hamilton Kerr Photography and Framing, have put together several photography tutorials which can be accessed though their Facebook page – Hamilton Kerr Photography & Framing or through their You Tube channel – Hamilton Kerr Photography.

Free Open University Courses
Do you fancy finding out more about a certain topic? Are there modules within an upcoming Uni or College course you would like to find out more about? Have you left school to start a new career?
If you answered yes to any of these questions this this might be of some interest. The Open University have over 1000 free courses to choose from ranging from 2 hours to 30 hours in length, work at your own pace, start when you want, finish when you want and receive a certificate of participation when you complete the course.
These courses do not provide credits towards a qualification however by can show a future employer or Uni/College that you have a willingness to learn and progress.
Visit www.open.edu/openlearn/freecourses/full-catelogue , create your free OpenLearn profile and choose from hundreds of free courses within each of the following sections:
Health, Sports and Psychology; Education and Development; History and The Arts; Languages; Money and Business; Nature & Environment; Science, Maths and Technology; Society, Politics and Law.

Learn a new language
Fancy learning a new language or brushing up on one you have some knowledge of? Duolingo allows you to learn a new language for free, forever. No need to register, just select the language you would like to learn, confirm whether you would like to start with the basics or if you are an advanced learner, take a placement test to see where you should get started.
www.duolingo.com

Get a bit of Culture
Every Thursday at 7pm The National Theatre are showing free full length productions of their best shows. Likewise, The Royal Ballet is uploading full productions. Cinderella is currently available to watch, just check out their website.
Search National Theatre or The Royal Ballet on You Tube or visit their websites.
www.nationaltheatre.org.uk
www.roh.org.uk
You can also find other activities on the National Theatre website such as the Home Quiz.

The Theory of Driving
Are you approaching 17? Have you planned to sit your theory driving test soon? You can now practise both parts of the theory test for free online at www.gov.uk .

Learn to Sew
Sewing is a great skill to have, you never know when it will come in handy.
Lost a button? Holes in your socks? Go on, you can do.

Make a Photobox
I used to love looking through old photograph albums of my family. The memories, the fashion…..the hair do’s.
Have you got lots of photographs waiting patiently to be arranged in a nice album? Why not design the cover of the album and arrange all those amazing memories?

Virtual Rollercoaster POV
The real things make my tummy queasy although this I can handle. Take a front seat ride on lots of theme park Rollercoasters from the comfort of your own sofa and the bonus is…..there’s no queuing.
(POV – Point of View)
Video’s can be found on You Tube, just search for Virtual Roller Coaster POV.

Reading Challenge
The team are currently in Kathmandu.

Book of the Week – The Fever Code (Prequel)
A prequel to the worldwide Maze Runner phenomenon, The Fever Code is the book that holds all the answers. How did WICKED find the Gladers? Who are Group B? And what side are Thomas and Teresa really on? Lies will be exposed. Secrets uncovered. Loyalties proven. You’ll never see the truth coming…

Book Reviews

Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant

Blog 4 18.05.20

Hello!  Welcome to the 4th instalment of my blog.

This week, I have been looking for different activities which we can all get involved in.  Enjoy😊.

National Book Token – Writing Competition

Are you a budding writer?  Is your imagination bursting with ideas for adventure, thrills and spills, stories about inspirational people, big friendly giants or tiny talking spiders then this is for you!

Here’s information on how to enter and be in with a chance to win up to £200 of National Book Tokens:

How to enter: ask your child to write a story of up to 300 words, using the theme BIG DREAMS. Submit it here by midnight on 28th May. 

They can interpret the theme however they like: an epic fantasy inspired by a dream, an amazing adventure that takes place in another world, or a true-to-life story set in an imaginary school. The winning stories will be chosen by not one, not two, but six amazing Puffin authors: Nathan Bryon and Sam Copeland (6-10), Robin Stevens and Yassmin Abdel-Magied (11-15), and Emma Smith-Barton and Carrie Hope Fletcher (15-18). 

Our esteemed judges will award one winner in each age group the grand prize of a £200 National Book Token, with added prizes of 2 x £100 and 16 x £50 National Book Tokens in each category. The winners will be announced on Sunday 14th June by the authors themselves at the Puffin Festival of Big Dreams on Puffin Books’ YouTube and Facebook channels, and the three winning stories will be published on our website.

To visit the National Book Token webpage and find out more information, please click on the following link (ctrl and click)

https://www.nationalbooktokens.com/big-dreams?utm_source=nbt&utm_medium=email&utm_content=big-dreams&utm_campaign=20200515_writing-competition

National Book Token Prize Draw

Win £5,000 worth of National Book Tokens for your School Library:

The National Book Tokens prize draw is back! National Book Tokens are giving one lucky school £5,000/€5,000 of National Book Tokens to spend on books for their library, enough to buy hundreds of books when schools reopen. Plus, whoever nominates the winning school will be entered in a draw to take home £100/€120 of National Book Tokens for themselves.

Visit www.nationalbooktokens.com/schools to nominate your school, plus download images and flyers to help spread the word on social media. The more nominations, the greater the chance of winning!  Nominations are open until 31 July 2020.

https://www.worldbookday.com/2020/05/win-5000-of-national-book-tokens-for-your-school-library/

How amazing would it be if we won! Think of all the books we could buy      Please get voting, thank you 😊.

Mental Health Awareness Week

Today is the first day of Mental Health Awareness Week and WHS Parent Council have shared this list of daily challenges.  Helping others can also help ourselves and don’t forget to make time for yourself:

James Dyson Challenges

The James Dyson Foundation have introduced STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths ) challenges which can be done at home.  Designed by Dyson engineers, they challenge curious minds and encourage hands-on experimentation.

Click on this link to download the challenges:

https://www.jamesdysonfoundation.co.uk/resources/challenge-cards.html

Reading Challenge

The team are currently in Mumbai.

Book of the Week – Kingdom of Ash (Bk 7) by Sarah J Maas

Aelin Galathynius’s journey from slave to assassin to queen reaches its heart-rending finale as war erupts across her world… She has risked everything to save her people – but at a tremendous cost. Locked in an iron coffin by the Queen of the Fae, Aelin must draw upon her fiery will to endure the months of torture inflicted upon her. The knowledge that yielding to Maeve will doom those she loves keeps her from breaking, but her resolve is unravelling with each passing day… With Aelin imprisoned, Aedion and Lysandra are the last line of defence keeping Terrasen from utter destruction. But even the many allies they’ve gathered to battle Erawan’s hordes might not be enough to save the kingdom. Scattered throughout the continent and racing against time, Chaol, Manon, and Dorian must forge their own paths to meet their destinies. And across the sea Rowan hunts to find his captured wife and queen – before she is lost to him.

Some bonds will deepen and others be severed forever, but as the threads of fate weave together at last, all must fight if they are to find salvation – and a better world. Years in the making, Kingdom of Ash is the unforgettable conclusion to Sarah J. Maas’s #1 New York Times bestselling Throne of Glass series

Book Reviews

Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones

Library Assistant

Blog 3 05.05.20

Hello! Well that was a quick week, we’re on week 3 of the blog already.

I really hope that you enjoyed last weeks blog, I wonder how many of us took part in the Hogwarts Escape room. If you did, I hope it kept you entertained for a while.
This week, I have been exploring different ways to access books and reading activities for you to take part in.

Audible books
At the end of the year, I started reading a few different book series and will be finishing the books I currently have at home very soon…eek!

So where do I go from here? I have a very old kindle which I will get back up and running soon, but in the meantime, I thought I would use the online service the local library is currently offering.

If you are a library card holder with Angus Alive you can register for an RB Digital account which has a huge catalogue of e-books, Audiobooks, Magazines and Comics:
www.angus.rbdigitalglobal.com

I now have my first audiobook ready to listen to. I have to say, I’m not sure how I will get on as I really do love holding a book and turning the pages and also imagining what the characters sound like 😊 but I am willing to give it my all.
If you don’t have an Angus Alive library account, you can create one online at www.angus.spydus.co.uk .

Angus Alive currently have a reading challenge for adults or children called ‘All 4 Fun Lockdown Reading Challenge’. This is a 4 week challenge where your aim is to read 4 e- resources in 4 weeks (4th till 29th May).
Again, if you are not a library member with Angus Alive, you can join online, register with RB Digital and join the activity using this link:
https://www.angusalive.scot/at-home/all-4-fun-reading-challenge/

There are also free resources available through the following links:

There are a huge amount of Free Audio books available on audible using the link below:
https://stories.audible.com/start-listen

If you are a fan of David Walliams and want to listen to David and guests read his book Fing, then click right here:
www.worldofdavidwalliams.com and click on the Elevenses section.

He is currently on chapters 27 – 29 although if you have missed previous chapters then these will be available on the elevenses section of his website from Saturday.

Bookzilla is an app created by The Scottish Book Trust and helps you to find the best books for you to read. Once registered, you can let the app know the style of books you enjoy reading, this then allow the app to tailor the recommendations to suit you.

There are also challenges you can take such as the book randomiser and the reading dare.

For more information on how to download the app click below:
https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/reading-and-stories/bookzilla  
Or if you fancy giving writing a go, visit www.authorfy.com/register and have unlimited access to fabulous resources.

Reading Challenge
Check out the library section of the website for information on how to join the reading challenge. We are in New Zealand at the moment, cruising along the high way to Queensland to enjoy a spot of skiing.

Book of the Week – Sunny (Book 3) by Jason Reynolds
Sunny is the coolest dude on the Defenders team! But his life hasn’t always been sunny. His mum died giving birth to him and he thinks he’s to blame. The only thing Sunny can do right is win first place running the mile, just like his mum. But Sunny doesn’t like running. So he stops. Right in the middle of a race.

Book Reviews

Well that’s pretty much it from me, let’s see what this new week beings.
Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant

Blog 2 28.04.20

Hello once again and welcome to the second instalment of my blog.

I hope you are all doing well, staying safe and most importantly staying at home.
Well that was a super-fast week. We’ve have been so lucky with the weather, so it has been great to get out in the garden and go for walks or cycles.
This week on the blog I have wizarding delights, reading activities, recipes, author interviews amongst others. So sit back and enjoy.

Harry Potter Escape Rooms
Yes you read the correctly! A Librarian from Peter’s Township Public Library, Pennsylvania has created a digital Hogwarts Escape Room.
Solve the puzzles to escape. Great fun and helps to curb the boredom.
The following link takes you to the library website and you can enter the escape room by clicking on the link in the red lettering (on the first sentence of the article).

Hogwarts Digital Escape Room

Authors Interviews
Do you want to find out a little more about one of your favourite author’s?
Scottish Book Trust have all their previous Authors live on demand events free to download and watch. From Anthony Horowitz to David Walliams, Francesca Simon to Malorie Blackman. The full A to Z of authors can be found using the following link:
https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/authors-live-on-demand

Scrubs update
Continuing from last week, my sewing machine has been going like the clappers. I have now finished 9 tunics and I have 2 more tunics and 4 pairs of trousers to sew up. A member of staff from a local hospital contacted me to say that some of our items had been delivered and the staff were delighted with them which is fantastic to hear.
If you would like to get involved why not check out the Webster’s High Parent Council Facebook page or search on Facebook for WHS PC scrubs info page. Even if you can’t sew, you could still help by donating material such as old duvet covers or old pillowcases to Kirrie Connections, bank street, Kirriemuir, Monday – Friday 10am till 5pm.

Here’s one of the tunics I have made

Keep fit
Well, I haven’t managed to get fit with Joe Wicks this week although I have been enjoying long walks with my family at night. I also completed a 4.5 mile walk on Sunday in support of BBS UK (Bardet Biedl Syndrome) and our friends daughter. The challenge was to walk, run or cycle 2.6 miles or 26 miles (Sunday was supposed to be the day of the London Marathon) and then make a donation to the charity BBS UK.

Don’t forget to give your Brain a workout too
So how about a little reading challenge? Do you ever finish reading a book, put it down and then move straight onto the next one? Why not give that book a little bit more of your time. Here is a table of activities you could use once you read a book:

Scottish Book Trust
Find other reading activities on The Scottish Book Trust website (https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/home-activities)

Reading Challenge
Check out the library section of the website for information on how to join the reading challenge. We are currently reading our way to New Zealand.

Book of the Week – Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott
In this moving story that’s perfect for fans of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars, two teens fall in love with just one minor complication-they can’t get within a few feet of each other without risking their lives.

Book Reviews
Don’t forget, you can leave a review on any of the books you have read from the School Library Catalogue on Eclipse, just click into your account or search and click on the book title and leave a review.

Bake off with friends
For the last 4 weeks I have been enjoying a bake off with friends via video call. It has been a great way to keep us in touch with each other and to have a good old catch up. One of us chooses a recipe, they tell the rest of us the ingredients and then we all bake along with them. While its in the oven, we have a catch up.
Last week, we made scones and I have to say they were the best scones, so I thought I would share the recipe (please ask an adult to help if you need, especially with using the oven):
Preparation time
less than 15 mins
Cooking time
10 to 15 mins
Serves
Makes approx 8 – 10 scones
Dietary
Vegetarian.
Ingredients
• 450g (1 lb) self-raising flour
• 2 rounded teaspoons baking powder
• 75g (3 oz) butter, at room temperature
• 50g (2 oz) caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• about 225 ml (8 fl oz) milk
Method
1. Lightly grease two baking trays. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
2. Measure the flour and baking powder into a processor. Add the butter and process until a crumble, then add the sugar. Or make by hand by rubbing the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
3. Beat the eggs together until blended and make up to a generous 300ml (1/2 pint) with the milk, then put about 2 tablespoons of the egg/milk aside in a cup for glazing the scones later. Gradually add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients until you have a soft dough. It is far better that the scone mixture is on the wet side, sticking to your fingers, as the scones will rise better.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten it out with your hand, or use a rolling pin, to a thickness of 1-2 cm (1/2 – ¾ inch). Use a 5 cm (2 inch) fluted cutter to stamp out the dough by pushing the cutter straight down into the dough (as opposed to twisting the cutter) then lift it straight out. This ensures that the scones will rise evenly and keep their shape. Gently push the remaining dough together, knead very lightly then re-roll and cut more scones out as before.
5. Arrange the scones on the prepared baking trays and brush the tops with the reserved beaten egg/milk mixture to glaze. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the scones are well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack, covered with a clean tea towel to keep them moist. Serve as fresh as possible, cut in half and spread generously with strawberry jam and top with a good spoonful of thick cream.

Stay safe, stay home

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant

Blog 1 20.04.20

The WHS Library Weekly Blog

A huge hello from me and welcome to the first of my weekly blogs.

My aim of this week’s blog is to give you a little light relief from what is happening around us. I will let you know what I have been doing and providing links to activities to help you join in.

It’s good to talk
The last week of the Easter Holidays has very much been about keeping in touch with friends, family and helping others as much as I can.

In a time where we don’t have much face to face contact with people, it is hugely important to still try and keep in contact whether it is by phone, social media or a video call. Some of us may go through this experience well while others may not. A simple call, text or video call could brighten up their day and yours.

Origami butterfly kindness tokens
If you are not able to call or use social media, there are other ways to let people know that you are thinking of them by making them a small token of appreciation.

Makebox.co have a great step by step guide on how to make origami butterfly tokens of kindness which you can find on their blog (blog.makebox.co) (you might remember me making a gazillion of them for a library display back in February this year). They are super easy to make, and you only need a square piece of coloured paper and a pen to write your note.

These are also a great idea if you wanted to say thank you to keyworkers such as the postie, courier drivers or waste collectors.

Picture by makebox.co

Growin’ your own
At the start of the Easter Holidays, I finally got around to finishing my new veg patch. I have grown veg before so had lots of seeds which I am delighted to say are all starting to sprout. I love seeing the veg grow and there’s nothing better than eating veg that you have grown yourself.
Don’t have any veg seeds? Don’t worry, its actually very easy to grow vegetables using seeds from the veg you have in your food cupboard/fridge.
I have grown veg from butternut squash seeds, apple seeds, pepper seeds and cloves of garlic.
One tip I found on the internet recently was for growing cherry tomatoes. If you cut a cherry tomato in half and plant them then a tomato plant will (should) grow.
This is also the same for potatoes, if you find a potato in your cupboard which has roots (chits) growing, cut the potato into pieces making sure each piece has a chit and simply plant, water and watch them grown into a crop of potatoes.

Scrubs
You may have noticed in the news that there is a growing need for personal protective equipment for people who work in the NHS and Care Sector and the Technical department within Webster’s High School have been doing an amazing job at making visors for hospitals, care homes, surgeries and supermarkets, to name but a few.
Another group which has recently been set up though the Webster’s High Parent Council is WHS PC scrubs info page. The members of this page have
been busy cutting material and sewing to make scrubs and wash bags for NHS staff and Care Workers and I am very proud to say that I am a member and have made 2 tunics so far with another 5 ready to sew up.

Here’s one of the tunics I have made

Keep fit
At the start of the lockdown at 9am every morning I tuned into PE with Joe Wicks on his You Tube channel. I’m not much of an exercise class person although I thought I would give it a go.
Exercise is not only good for our bodies but also for our minds too and it can give us the energy we need to set us up for the day.
Ok so my taking part in the PE lessons only lasted till the end of the first week….. I’m not as young as you all are. However, having consumed my weight in cakes and chocolate over the Easter Holiday’s I am now committed to get back to it once more.
Did you also know that the PE teachers at Webster’s High have also been setting daily challenges? Teachers verses Pupils. You can see the daily challenge which has been set and record your results on Microsoft Teams
So here’s the big question…..have you all been reading?
Remember reading is more than just books; Magazines, newspapers, graphic novels, comics and audio books all count too.

A little bit of reading each day can help give your brain a good daily workout.

Check out the information under the news section on Eclipse and on the Library Events section on the Webster’s High School website for links to free reading resources (www.webstershigh.co.uk)

You can also find information on how to join the Reading and Graphic Novel Challenges Mrs Duncan has created.

Book of the Week – Paper Avalanche by Lisa Williamson
A new novel from YA bestselling sensation Lisa Williamson (The Art of Being Normal, All About Mia). This is a heart breaking and powerful book about the struggles of living with hoarding.

Book Reviews
Don’t forget, you can leave a review on any of the books you have read from the School Library Catalogue on Eclispe.

Well that’s pretty much it from me, lets see what this new week beings.
Stay safe, stay home.

Mrs Jones
Library Assistant