Save The Whales Fundraising Event

img_1816

img_1822

That was the best day ever!  I am so proud of us all!  I was so nervous at the start then when we started talking I was fineWearing my heels gave me more confidence.  I was so surprised at how many people cameWe must have raised loads of money!  It was so much fun!  Mrs Wightman dancing at the back was hilarious!

Visitor comments:

What an achievement Primary 6, so proud of you all!  I can’t believe how lucky I was, I never win anything.  It was so wonderful to see the children really take ownership up there, they did themselves and Mrs Wightman proud.  Is this not what Curriculum for Excellence is all about?!  I wish we had opportunities like this when I was at school.  That song will stick in my head forever!

Oil Spill Experiment

We have been learning about the destruction and harm that can be caused to whales and other sea life when an oil spill occurs.

We tried three differnt methods to remove oil from water, as professionals would do when there is an oil spill in the sea or ocean.

We tried skimming the oil from the water, using sorbents to absorb the oil and dispersing the oil with a chemical solution (fairy liquid).

We found that the dispersing method worked the best and the sorbent method was least effective.

We now realise the real damage an oil spill can cause as it is really difficult to remove the oil from the water.